Class 1 Div 2 Data Jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LB3

I have a contractor looking for data jacks that would fall into Class 1 Div 2 standards. Does anyone know where I might find them?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You talking about Ethernet RJ45 type jacks? I don't think there are any.

I once saw some kind of intrinsically safe Ethernet system though. The jacks looked pretty normal to me.

You talking about Ethernet RJ45 type jacks? I don't think there are any.

I once saw some kind of intrinsically safe Ethernet system though. The jacks looked pretty normal to me.

IS connectors would not require any special listing or features.

I am not aware of any data connectors complying withe NEC requirement, but there are connectors available for the IEC market that have various listings, for various Zoned requirements. If you can get your EI accept that listing or if you have Zoned Classification according to the NEC you MAY be in business.

bobgorno

I've seen IP20 and IP67 data jacks (not good for D2) and PLTC and TC Cat5e cable (good for D2). I have seen IS ethernet, but never had the guts to try it.

There are some creative things you can do with Turck cordsets and connectors using their Lockfast collars to get the D2 rating. We did a portable remote I/O cabinet some years ago where we used rated plugs for the 24VDC power and the Turck cord for the ethernet. Worked well, no loss of comms.

Lemoca

I've never used Turck wiring solutions, but I saw their process wiring catalog the other day and liked what I saw.

I have a question though, I understand that I can use their ITC cordset + connector lockfast in Class I Div 2 applications.

What about Class I Zone 2? Can I use this same wiring solution on Zone 2 classified areas?

Thanks,

tkirk

If you can't find any simple wall jacks that meet the requirements, you could always just install an ethernet switch and use the connectors on the switch. The only drawbacks are that you will need to have power available for the switch, and if you are using certain flavors of Ethernet/IP or Profinet that require IEEE 1588 time protocol compatibility for high-resolution control, those protocols require that the switches be IEEE 1588 compatible (many aren't). There are several companies with hazloc listed ethernet switches such as Moxa or Advantech. Additionally, a few companies have intrinsic safety barrier/hubs for ethernet that can convert to IS, allowing ordinary jacks to be used after the barrier.

P&F has one for example:
http://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/cps/rde/xchg/global/hs.xsl/1815.htm?rdeLocale=en

I haven't used it myself, but P&F isn't known for making stuff that doesn't work.

One other idea that I'm not sure would fly based on NEC requirements, but others might be able to comment on is to simply have a captive cable come out from the wall. Do not terminate the cable in a wall plate jack, just bring 30 feet or however long of cable right out from the wall and terminate it in a plug. The cable would sit unconnected unless plugged into a device, and at that point the device would need the listing. Obviously this assumes that the far end of the cable is plugged into a C1D2 listed hub/switch within the same div/zone, and that the area is dry and relatively clean. I can't remember what NEC says about an unterminated low voltage cable sitting idle, but I would think it is safer than a wall jack that could arc/spark when a cable is plugged/unplugged.

bobgorno

I have a question though, I understand that I can use their ITC cordset + connector lockfast in Class I Div 2 applications.

What about Class I Zone 2? Can I use this same wiring solution on Zone 2 classified areas?

See 505.9(C)(1) and 505.15(C). Also, go to Turck website and look for catalog B2050.

Status
Not open for further replies.