highline voltage distance from petroleum tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEA

A local power company wants to put a high voltage (12,470 VAC) overhead line within fifteen feet of an oil/gas petroleum tank. The content of the tank is very flammable. The working rule of thumb is not to put a highline any closer to a tank than the length of the pole, plus ten feet. What document or article would clarify the proper distance a highline pole should be from a hazardous area tank? Thank you.

GEA

Thanks for the reply. Section 515.7(A) addresses going over a classified area, but does not clarify how close overhead high voltage can be. There is no suggestion to go over the tanks, just to get close. If an ice storm brings down a 12,470 volt line, creating sparks as it falls, there would be a high chance of a dangerous explosion. We are attempting to find a statement of authority on actual footage allowance between overhead high voltage and a hazardous tank. Thanks again for your consideration.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If you read it carefully, Section 515.7(A) prohibits overhead lines over the tank since they are not one of the permissible wiring methods.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
NESC and OSHA 1910.269 will have the clearances.
NESC Rule 127 specifically refers back to NEC Articles 500-517. OSHA 1910.269 says nothing about the issue. Overhead lines are not a recognized wiring method above classified bulk storage locations; therefore they are prohibited.

zog

NESC Rule 127 specifically refers back to NEC Articles 500-517. OSHA 1910.269 says nothing about the issue. Overhead lines are not a recognized wiring method above classified bulk storage locations; therefore they are prohibited.

Hmm, thought it was in that section. I was refering to the 10 foot rule up to 50kV and 10 feet plus 0.4 inches for each 1 kV over 50 kV rule. Now I have to go find it.

GEA

rbalex, I appreciate your assistance, but I want to try to clarify the question. This has nothing to do with going over a tank. There is no question posed by anyone concerning "over" a tank. No one is suggesting, wanting, planning or asking anything about going "over" a tank. While an answer continues to be concerning "over" a tank, we will remain without resolution to the inquiry. The single question remains, "how close can an overhead power line be to a flammable tank" (PS, not "over"). Regards

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Since the context was hazardous locations, the question appeared to have two issues. First, the basic clearances that Zog properly addressed. I couldn?t believe a utility would miss that. Second was the potential that the lines would still pass over a classified location. I thought that was what you were concerned about. I apologize for ?muddying the waters? by equating passing over a classified location to passing over the tank.

kwired

Electron manager
You can bring up as many codes as you want, the bottom line is whether or not the POCO is required to follow them. Many are not required to follow any codes by law but choose to follow NESC for their own liability reasons.

The next thing that comes to mind is unless this line is the final span feeding the customer that owns the fuel tank, and only that customer, why is it on the customers property?

If it supplies more than just the customer located on the propetery there likely needs to be easements to place that line there, if there is a right of way for the line then maybe the tank is not allowed there.

Just some more things to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.