Easy way to understand classified/hazardous locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamDiosy

Hey there guys. I need to know if there is an easy way to understand hazardous and classified locations in the NEC. Are there any charts or cheat sheets out there that could help me understand these classifications better?
Thanks for the help.

lefty

Classified Locations

Classified Locations

There are some locations that can be pretty straight forward for these locations, but from my experience in these locations, an Electrical Engineer needs to look over these locations and classify these areas. The process at times can take a while depending on the locations, the material or mixtures of gases, ventilation, several things to consider in these locations.

If you have opportunities to visit with an EE, this will be well worth your time they are trained in calculating, processing, evaluating, and recommending as well as specifing the proper construction, maintenance, design. A EE can take a lot off your mind, and put everybody at ease in these locations.

The reason I say this, is it can get complicated when going from one area classification to another in some places, sometimes people will over do it and just build it Cl 1 Div 1. While this is an option, sometimes an EE would save time an material, and help mitigate some of the liability in these locations.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In many cases it is not the EE who provides the area classification information. It is often the process or chemical engineer who does that. It is not really an electrical issue. The classification needs to be done by someone who fully understands the process. The person who understands the process may have very little knowledge of the NEC or the electrical installation practices required for the classified area.

lefty

Okay

Okay

I learned something, the process engineer would hand that information to the EE to design the electrical system in some cases wouldn't they? So depending on the site, the electrician or the EE could determine the design of the electrical system if it is within their capabilities and the persons in charge of the process could assist them with the information he has gathered? Is that about how it goes?

In many cases it is not the EE who provides the area classification information. It is often the process or chemical engineer who does that. It is not really an electrical issue. The classification needs to be done by someone who fully understands the process. The person who understands the process may have very little knowledge of the NEC or the electrical installation practices required for the classified area.

Electrical Area Classification is usually done by a team of electrical, chemical, equipment, operational and safety experts as a minimum. NFPA 497 gives guidelines to the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.