History of Proposals for Requiring GFCI Protected Receptacles in Hazardous Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Have past "Proposals for the next NEC" ever included requiring GFCI protection on receptacles located in hazardous locations?

My concern would be for receptacles located in C1D1 Group D or C1D2 Group D Locations.

hurk27

I have never heard of a receptacle outlet being allowed in such locations just because of the spark that could be produced if the plug was pulled out under load, A GFCI would not eliminate this danger since you would still have full load current in the event of a disconnection.

natfuelbill

My thinking is that for a properly rated receptacle installed in a hazardous location (compressor station where mechanics often perform work with portable lampholders) that GFCI protection using a GFCI circuit breaker would provide additional protection given a ground fault on the cord fed equipment.

This would be similar to 511.12 Garages and 513.12 Aircraft Hangers.

Also, an AFCI could be better suited for a minimizing an arc event.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am unaware of any specific Proposals for GFCI in Classified Locations.

Basically, GFCI is required in classified locations where it would be required in ordinary locations under what would otherwise be the same conditions. Five (5)ma is usually well above the minimum igniting current (MIC) ratio so GFCI is no significant protection against ignition.

The receptacles are to be installed per Section 501.145.

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/PDFS/PR_Pages 1276.pdf

natfuelbill

This would be a topic for another forum section, but as long as we're into it please bare with me.

What is the AFCI trip energy (amperage) of characteristic electrical arcing waveform?

Why are GFCI required in garages and hangers, but not on industrial floors such as an engine room?

Given a choice of 5mA or 20A device tripping currents it seems that with GFCI protection would provide an order of magnitude improvement. Especially with a lighter than air explosive gas.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the AFCI trip energy (amperage) of characteristic electrical arcing waveform?
The AFCI does not even look at the arc signature unless the current exceeds 5 amps.
...Given a choice of 5mA or 20A device tripping currents it seems that with GFCI protection would provide an order of magnitude improvement. Especially with a lighter than air explosive gas.
The GFCI does nothing to limit the current of the fault. It just reacts to open the circuit when the ground fault current exceeds 5 mA, but the actual ground fault current is not limited to 5 mA. It is what ever the voltage can drive into the impedance of the ground fault.

hurk27

This would be a topic for another forum section, but as long as we're into it please bare with me.

Why are GFCI required in garages and hangers, but not on industrial floors such as an engine room?

Given a choice of 5mA or 20A device tripping currents it seems that with GFCI protection would provide an order of magnitude improvement. Especially with a lighter than air explosive gas.

I hope your using an explosion proof drop light, A GFCI still provides full circuit current through it on the hot and neutral, in no way does a GFCI reduce this nor can it, what do you think could happen if the air around the receptacle was at the right mixture to combust, and you happened to trip on the cord and pull it out of the receptacle, if the drop cord light is on, there will be a spark at the receptacle, also as was said, a dead short to ground will produce enough current to trip the branch circuit breaker, I have had it happen, GFCI's do not limit the fault current on a dead short, its not fast enough, and is design that way, there is a delay built in the IC chip, this is to help to prevent neusent tripping, As far as AFCI"S go, the info I have on them is they don't even start looking until 5 amps, and don't trip to as much as 75 amp signature is reached, after my pointing this out to UL back a few years ago it might have been lowered but I don't have this info.

hurk27

I am unaware of any specific Proposals for GFCI in Classified Locations.

Basically, GFCI is required in classified locations where it would be required in ordinary locations under what would otherwise be the same conditions. Five (5)ma is usually well above the minimum igniting current (MIC) ratio so GFCI is no significant protection against ignition.

The receptacles are to be installed per Section 501.145.

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/PDFS/PR_Pages%201276.pdfhttp://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/PDFS/PR_Pages 1276.pdf

I guess I need to get up to date, I was thinking of the OP installing regular receptacles in classified locations, I have a explosion proof 12 volt fluorescent drop light with a wall wart with a pigtail that plugs into that ENR5201 M4 receptacle, you can't pull out these.

Status
Not open for further replies.