declassifing a location problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmargolis79

I have a pipe rack 250'+ that shares both elec and gas piping. Most of it was class 1 div 2. They have removed some of the gas venting for about 100' that caused the div 2 area. Now I have the boundry seals 100 feet from the new boundry. I 6+ 1inch pipes, so i would like not to have to pull all the wire back to add seals in the middle of this run. Could we just leave the area classified without the hazard being present? Any other solutions?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You could do that OR you could check to see if Section 501.15(B)(2) Exception No. 4 applies - it was written for just such cases as yours.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And if for some reason the exception does not apply, CH has split seals that could be installed with some very careful use of cutting tools.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
And if for some reason the exception does not apply, CH has split seals that could be installed with some very careful use of cutting tools.
The last time I looked, EYSR retrofit sealing fittings are only listed for use in Canada. This is one of my greatest disappointments with Crouse-Hinds; their literature often asserts compliance with UL Standards, but not necessarily listing. Of course, since the seals don't actually need to be explosionproof anymore - the question may be moot.

jmargolis79

thanks for all the info. The exception does apply and we will use it. Have any of you used the retro seals and spilt the pipe? how does one go about that with wires inside?

Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
thanks for all the info. The exception does apply and we will use it. Have any of you used the retro seals and spilt the pipe? how does one go about that with wires inside?

Thanks
If the exception applies you don't need seals. That said, I have used the retro seals, though not in your application and we didn't need to break into the raceways.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The last time I looked, EYSR retrofit sealing fittings are only listed for use in Canada. This is one of my greatest disappointments with Crouse-Hinds; their literature often asserts compliance with UL Standards, but not necessarily listing. Of course, since the seals don't actually need to be explosionproof anymore - the question may be moot.

I'd have to see it to agree to that in a legal sense. We used a bunch of EYSR's on the Alyeska Pipeline and Trans Alaska Pipeline Terminal back in the 90's. We worked with UL inspectors and had all kinds of government oversight. So I'd ask about the documentation trail from 1990 to now.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I'd have to see it to agree to that in a legal sense. We used a bunch of EYSR's on the Alyeska Pipeline and Trans Alaska Pipeline Terminal back in the 90's. We worked with UL inspectors and had all kinds of government oversight. So I'd ask about the documentation trail from 1990 to now.

Easy enough-have your local CH rep get you the UL E number. I already linked to the UL certification page above for CH sealing products.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Easy enough-have your local CH rep get you the UL E number. I already linked to the UL certification page above for CH sealing products.

Thank you Bob.

Will get back when I have pertinent information (somehow, I have Cyndi Lauper's "Money Changes Everything" as my theme song on information gathering on this) that may explain the end run.

We are talking about a 93 - 94 project...

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ings/eysr_series_retrofitsealingfittings.html

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Is there (typically) an issue with 501.15(C)(6) when using the EYSR fittings?

Pete
Technically, the problem with EYSRs is with 501.15(C)(1). That is, seal fittings must be listed.

Percent fill could be a problem, but not necessarily. The Exception to the general rule in 501.15(C) applies to 501.15(C)(1) through 501.15(C)(6). Therefore, in the case of a Division 2/unclassified boundary the seal isn't required to be listed or explosionproof and 110.3(B) doesn't apply either.

Status
Not open for further replies.