Explosion Proof fixtures in Motor Oil Storage Room ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are doing a project where the electrical engineer is installing explosion proof lighting in a car dealership new/used oil storage room. This raised a red flag as to the fact that we have never installed this type of fixture in these spaces before. I know that motor oil is a Class II liquid (flash-point is higher than 100 deg F) Typically a garage area is Class 1 Div II and we do not enter anywhere in the 18" off the floor. I looked at the code section 514.3(B)(1) under lubrication or service room - without dispensing. And it looks like the classification is the same Class I Div II, and by this, we would not need to install this type of fixture in the space as long as it it installed above 18". If anyone could help me out in finding out if we do need this type of lighting in this space. Or any code reference numbers so I can help challenge the use of a VERY expensive fixture where it is not needed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It isn't likely that this is an Article 514 application. More likely it is Article 511. You may want to review Section 511.3 to determine classification and Section 511.7 for wiring and equipment above Class I.

yeah already saw that part, but this space technically isn't a garage, its a oil storage room. I was trying to determine what type of liquid motor oil and used motor oil would qualify as. I know it does not emit flammable fumes that is not lighter then air so in the garage area I would not have to classify the ceiling.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Without knowing the entire layout, it's difficult to give definitive answers. Still the installation is most likely a "garage" (Art 511) rather than a "dispensing" (Art 514) application.

The oil storage alone would not usually create a classified location, but I don't have all the design information the engineer has.

rodgere

Explosion Proof fixtures in Motor Oil Storage Room ??

I would be wary about calling this area a garage or dispensing area because it sounds like a closed storage area, no ventilation so vapors can accumulate, not disperse as in a garage or outside fuel dispensing area. You also mentioned used oil, this can contain other more dangerous fluids such as solvents and gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.