Hand hole at gas station to intercept existing conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

Looking for opinions...

I was presented with an interesting design for an installation today (it seemed interesting to me because I have never seen it done).

Existing gasoline dispensers, existing conduits but the building will be razed and moved approx. 40 feet. The designer is proposing to install a hand hole large enough to intercept the existing conduits from the dispensers and route new conduits to the building.

Would it be a violation of the NEC to thread the ends of the existing rigid conduit inside the hand-hole, install horizontal seals and splice to the branch circuits from the re-located building?

The hand-hole would be located outside of the defined hazardous areas.

Pete

marti smith

Pete, I read that last sentence as no (hand hole) box allowed.

514.8 Underground Wiring.
Underground wiring shall be installed in threaded rigid metal conduit or threaded steel intermediate metal conduit. Any portion of electrical wiring that is below the surface of a Class I, Division 1, or a Class I, Division 2, location [as classified in Table 514.3(B)(1) and Table 514.3(B)(2)] shall be sealed within 3.05 m (10 ft) of the point of emergence above grade. Except for listed explosionproof reducers at the conduit seal, there shall be no union, coupling, box, or fitting between the conduit seal and the point of emergence above grade.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
From what I take of the explanation, the hand hole would be outside the hazardous location, so sealoffs would only be required on the conduits from the new location that leave the hazardous location, but not to the building. (unless it is in a hazardous location)

Status
Not open for further replies.