A couple of questions about Class I Div 2 Control panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Say you are an inspector.

Would you accept a control panel for use in a Class I division 2 area under one or more of the following conditions.

- not a listed panel

- a UL listed control panel under UL508a but that used all internal components UL listed as suitable for use in a C1D2 area

- a non UL listed panel with a UL listed purge system suitable for C1D2

- a UL listed panel with a UL listed purge system

- not a UL listed panel but all internal components are listed for use in a C1D2 area OR have no make/break contacts and are in a GP enclosure as per 501.105(B) (3)

why?

lefty

cl1 div2

cl1 div2

Say you are an inspector.

Would you accept a control panel for use in a Class I division 2 area under one or more of the following conditions.

- not a listed panel

- a UL listed control panel under UL508a but that used all internal components UL listed as suitable for use in a C1D2 area

- a non UL listed panel with a UL listed purge system suitable for C1D2

- a UL listed panel with a UL listed purge system

- not a UL listed panel but all internal components are listed for use in a C1D2 area OR have no make/break contacts and are in a GP enclosure as per 501.105(B) (3)

why?

non listed panel-I would need more information, what's in it?

2nd UL listed panel and internal parts, it sounds good. Would still need to see what is in it, and where is it going.

3rd will need an engineer to evaluate the purge system

4th still need an engineer on this one.

5th -this looks like it might be the way to go, I would have to check the disconnecting means on it though, and see weather it had fuses or not.

This would take some time to go through. NEC does allow general purpose cabinets to be used, I believe they will have to be purged, or if they are using UL listed componets for a cl1 div2 location, it appears to be okay.

lefty

answers

answers

I'm hoping that Robert Alexander will reply, that would be the answer I would be looking for, their is some others I would want to hear also.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
1. not a listed panel
a. In jurisdictions that have an absolute listing requirement ? No
b. Otherwise ? Possibly, depending on what I found inside. Note the definition of what will be in an Industrial Control Panel in 409.2. Without switching devices it?s only a terminal cabinet.
2. a UL listed control panel under UL508a but that used all internal components UL listed as suitable for use in a C1D2 area
a. In jurisdictions that have an absolute listing requirement ? Yes
b. Otherwise-Yes
3. a non UL listed panel with a UL listed purge system suitable for C1D2
b. Otherwise ? Yes, unless there was a clear reason not to. (Some possible NFPA 496, Type Z violation)
4. a UL listed panel with a UL listed purge system
a. In jurisdictions that have an absolute listing requirement ? Yes
b. Otherwise ?Yes, unless there was a clear reason not to. (Some possible NFPA 496, Type Z violation)
5. not a UL listed panel but all internal components are listed for use in a C1D2 area OR have no make/break contacts and are in a GP enclosure as per 501.105(B) (3)
b. Otherwise?Yes
Note: Where I indicate only ?Yes,? it assumes there is no obvious reason to go beyond the requirements of Section 90.7

Status
Not open for further replies.