Replacing equipment in C1D2 areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

When replacing equipment in C1D2 areas, is it the electrical designer's responsibility to upgrade affected equipment in the area such that it complies with the area's classification?

I thought there was something in the NEC that stated this requirement, but having a tough time finding it.

TIA.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
When replacing - definitely. See Section 500.8(B)(1). In fact, the equipment should have been upgraded whenever the area classification changed. See California Title 8 (CalOSHA), Subchapter 5. Electrical Safety Orders, Group 1. Low-Voltage Electrical Safety Orders, Article 2. Administration, Sections: ?2305.2(a) and ?2305.2(b)(1).

?2305.2(b)(1) applies to all installations regardless of when they were installed. The only exception for classified locations, is the documentation does not have to be up to date - unless there was a change after MAy 8, 2008.

These requirements mirror those of FedOSHA.

jdsmith

When replacing - definitely. See Section 500.8(B)(1). In fact, the equipment should have been upgraded whenever the area classification changed. See California Title 8 (CalOSHA), Subchapter 5. Electrical Safety Orders, Group 1. Low-Voltage Electrical Safety Orders, Article 2. Administration, Sections: ?2305.2(a) and ?2305.2(b)(1).

?2305.2(b)(1) applies to all installations regardless of when they were installed. The only exception for classified locations, is the documentation does not have to be up to date - unless there was a change after MAy 8, 2008.

These requirements mirror those of FedOSHA.

This is a serious issue - a few refineries I know of received multimillion dollar OSHA fines in the last few years due to hazardous location NEC violations. This is a whole different level of safety concern than the rest of the code when electrical equipment can cause explosions. OSHA has good inspectors that know to check for sealoffs being poured, check area classification drawings for group and temperature ratings, and verify equipment group and temperature ratings match the drawings. In my plant if I find any installation anywhere that does not meet code management will make funding available to fix the situation and make it safe - we try to get everyone in this mindset.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When replacing equipment in C1D2 areas, is it the electrical designer's responsibility to upgrade affected equipment in the area such that it complies with the area's classification?

I thought there was something in the NEC that stated this requirement, but having a tough time finding it.

TIA.

No. It is the owner's responsibility.

iMuse97

No. It is the owner's responsibility.

Good call. At the same time, the OP wonders what is the responsibility of the electrical designer:

In this case, it would be to notify the owner of what is required for an approved, code-compliant installation. And to get them to sign on the line so everyone gets paid. ;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Good call. At the same time, the OP wonders what is the responsibility of the electrical designer:

In this case, it would be to notify the owner of what is required for an approved, code-compliant installation. And to get them to sign on the line so everyone gets paid. ;)

Depends on what the electrical designer's scope of work is. Is the owner paying him to come out and survey the area to make sure it meets code? Or is he paying him to handle the installation of new equipment?

IMO, the guy tasked with installing new equipment has no business meddling in anything else unless it is directly related to what he is doing (like demo of old stuff).

If there is some obvious issue that needs to be addressed that comes to his attention outside of his scope, the appropriate way to handle it is a matter of fact notification to the owner. I don't think at that point it is appropriate for the designer to even suggest what the solution might be to whatever issue(s) he has noted. Just report it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.