Does significant Acetone automatically put my storage facility in Class 1 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffs

We are rennovating a warehouse for chemical storage. Large gallon quantities will be present, but the worst item would be acetone, a class D item. All unloading, processing, venting etc will take place outside.

Are we automatically under Class 1 Div 2 just due to acetone despite the lack of any activity indoors, including replacing light fixtures 25 ft high? Would any venting standards nullify the need for complete class 1 div 2 electrical?

jeffs

Sorry, I should clarify. Would "adequate ventilation" and LEL monitoring allow me to use ordinary electrical products? I realize you can't get away from Class 1 Div 2 classification completely.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Without knowing the details of the operation, it is difficult to give specific answers. However, is there reason to believe Table 515.3, second to last line doesn't apply?

jeffs

Alex - that line and the line right above it were confusing to me. We have Class 1 flammable liquids being stored, so we would seem to fall under the line right above that for the entire room. However, nothing is "transferred" out of a container, so would the 2nd to last line that you mention apply?

jeffs

I apologize, I wasn't clear in my terminology in my first post. I'm still learning applicable ratings.

We have acetone, which is a NFPA Class 1B Chemical with a NEC gas group rating of D.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Alex - that line and the line right above it were confusing to me. We have Class 1 flammable liquids being stored, so we would seem to fall under the line right above that for the entire room. However, nothing is "transferred" out of a container, so would the 2nd to last line that you mention apply?
As a "general rule," storage only doesn't require classification. However, that is only the "general rule." As I said, without knowing the full operation I can't make absolute statements. I recommend reviewing NFPA 30 or having the facility's insurer review the installation.

nollij

Per NFPA 30:

9.12 Electrical Systems:

9.12.1 - Electrical Area Classification shall not be required for liquid storage areas where all containers, intermediate bulk containers, and portable tanks are sealed and are not opened except as provided for in 9.12.2

9.12.2 - For liquid storage rooms that are totally enclosed within the building, electrical wiring and utilization equipment for Class I liquid storage shall be Class I, Division 2 (Zone 2), and electrical wiring and utilization equipment in inside rooms used for the storage of Class II and Class III liquid shall be suitable for ordinary purpose.

Exception: Class I, Division 2 (Zone 2) requirements apply to Class II and Class III liquids when stored at temperatures above their flash points.

Whoever is running this warehouse conversion to a chemical storage facility should be aware of NFPA 30 Chapters 9 and 12 as well as the rest of the standard. Keep in mind that regardless of what the code says, the facility operator is liable for any incidences that may occur.

Last edited:

bobgorno

Your insurer should be consulted as Bob A noted. There are some who are more conservative than NFPA 30. In addition to EAC (or lack of EAC), they may surprise you with fire protection requirements that exceed NFPA or IFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.