does feeder need sealoffs on both ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2.5" feeder feeding a panel in a vehicle maintenance garage, Class 1, Div 2. The feeder is routed through a handhole on exterior of building, under slab, and up to the panel. The first 18" above the floor is considered Cl 1, Div2. Does the feeder need a sealoff at the panel, and also at the handhole? Also have a branch circuit leaving the panel, travelling underground to a truck shed, for power and lights. Does this circuit need sealoffs on both end? my first thought is why didn't the engineer locate the panel in another room?, but that's another question for another forum.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
By your description, I am assuming the floor area is classified by 511.3(C)(1)(b) or 511.3(D)(1)(b). If this is strictly a repair garage with no dispensing then there is no need to seal the raceway at all. See 501.15 (B)(2) Ex No. 1. You will have to be careful about your placement of conduit fittings.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
That moves it over to Article 514. See 511.4(B)(1). There, depending on the layout, can cause all kinds of headaches; especially underground. See 514.4, 7 and 8

Status
Not open for further replies.