exhaust fan in a commercial garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooster6

If we provide ventilation to comply with NEC 511.3(C)(1)(a) to make the floor area unclassified in a commercial garage, should the exhaust fan be required to be rated for handling flammable fumes as the local inspectors are saying or is the also not required to be rated for a hazardous location. It is my understanding that the ventilation prevents the accummulation of flammable vapors to a hazardous level and that no part of teh system is required to be classified hazardous. Teh code official is saying 110.3 requires the fan to be rated for flammable vapors.

kwired

Electron manager
If we provide ventilation to comply with NEC 511.3(C)(1)(a) to make the floor area unclassified in a commercial garage, should the exhaust fan be required to be rated for handling flammable fumes as the local inspectors are saying or is the also not required to be rated for a hazardous location. It is my understanding that the ventilation prevents the accummulation of flammable vapors to a hazardous level and that no part of teh system is required to be classified hazardous. Teh code official is saying 110.3 requires the fan to be rated for flammable vapors.

If he wants to plead 110.3 then he needs to produce listing and labeling information or instructions that come with ???
maybe the exhaust fan?? I would be asking for something with more substance than that, this is just a cop out for him not being able to find anything better. There should be at the very least something in another NFPA publication that would be much more clear on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.