Ground Wire Through Classified Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotteng

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I am calling out for a ground bar to be installed in a classified area (Class I, Division II, Group D). I need to connect the ground conductor to structural steel which is in an unclassified area beyond. The room itself has a 2-hour rating (3 layers of gyp). I am looking for suggestions to how to get the wire through the wall in the "cleanest" fashion possible.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am calling out for a ground bar to be installed in a classified area (Class I, Division II, Group D). I need to connect the ground conductor to structural steel which is in an unclassified area beyond. The room itself has a 2-hour rating (3 layers of gyp). I am looking for suggestions to how to get the wire through the wall in the "cleanest" fashion possible.
Assuming the room is properly classified and the walls, floor and ceiling constitute the boundaries, you may bring the grounding/bonding conductor into the location by any conventional means. Basically ?sealing? would be by 501.15(E)(3), bare or insulated. Note a seal is NOT required for the conductor except for very specific applications that are not relevant to the installation as you described it. It would be prudent to ?patch? around the penetration to maintain the boundary.

How about running it through a fire rated multi cable transit? Something like a Roxtec frame. Will maintain the fire rating and get you a water tight seal around the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.