Paint booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

A friend of my son wants to build a paint booth inside his detached garage, I looked into prices of explosion proof fixtures
he does not have that kind of money, was wondering if placing fixtures outside of room with windows (pieces of glass) built into walls sealed air-tight would do the same as explosion proof fixtures,

any comment welcome good bad or ugly
Thanks

jusme123

Occupation
JW
A friend of my son wants to build a paint booth inside his detached garage, I looked into prices of explosion proof fixtures
he does not have that kind of money, was wondering if placing fixtures outside of room with windows (pieces of glass) built into walls sealed air-tight would do the same as explosion proof fixtures,

any comment welcome good bad or ugly
Thanks

so your trying to compare an explosion proof fixture with a piece of glass, am I understanding this correctly?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
by no means I am supporting the whole idea of a "home made paint booth" but the method you describe is similar to one used on some professional booths (note similar only). A wise man would run as far as he could from an installation your describe, but fixtures behind glass are better than exposed fixtures.

Gac66610

so your trying to compare an explosion proof fixture with a piece of glass, am I understanding this correctly?

compare ... yes, but
i have seen in how to paint magazines showing detached garages with plain ordinary fluorescent fixtures on the ceiling, and i shutter to think hes being safe by turning the furnace off
if i dont step in this maybe what he ends up doing ... could not handle the thought of .... what if
i am looking for a safer way to light his booth without the high cost ... if it can't be done just say that
i will explain to him and his father that it is NOT going to happen, save some money, get a loan, get a real spray booth

Gac66610

by no means I am supporting the whole idea of a "home made paint booth" but the method you describe is similar to one used on some professional booths (note similar only). A wise man would run as far as he could from an installation your describe, but fixtures behind glass are better than exposed fixtures.

i guess this supports the "save some money, get a loan, get a real spray booth"

i underlined, and agree, but still... not sure i want my name on it ... just thinking while typing
i'm going to talk to them
wish these car magazines would not highlight garage paint jobs

any other thoughts please post ... i dont mind being called names .... just dont call me late for dinner:happyno:

sgunsel

Don't even think of building a spray booth without reading and understanding all of NFPA 33. Lighting is only one of many important concerns, such as ventilation, static control, fire protection, exposure to toxic materials, spontaneous combustion, environmental controls, and more. I assure you that there are many ways to ignite a fire or otherwise damage your health. It can be done BUT it is not a trivial undertaking. Zoning might also be an issue.

Gac66610

Don't even think of building a spray booth without reading and understanding all of NFPA 33. Lighting is only one of many important concerns, such as ventilation, static control, fire protection, exposure to toxic materials, spontaneous combustion, environmental controls, and more. I assure you that there are many ways to ignite a fire or otherwise damage your health. It can be done BUT it is not a trivial undertaking. Zoning might also be an issue.

Thank you for your response, i knew about venting, and static build up.
have to do some major research, still need to talk to them, will see them Tuesday evening at bowling center

yeah zoning, its in the country so it should not apply ... homeowners insurance is another issue
it is in a detached garage 75ft from house.
had a house in town blow up a couple weeks ago from gas leak, shifted neighbors house on the foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.