Changing HazLoc light fixture from HPS to self ballasting lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I have been asked to repair some haz/loc (explosion proof) light fixtures, these fixtures are 150w HPS, I am new to the shop and was told to ask the other electrician in our shop if we had any lamps and ballast. He told me he has been changing these to self ballasting lamps that are close to or of equal wattage. I have never done this and would think that it would not be allowed if this fixture was certified as a 150w HPS

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
501.130 Luminaires. Luminaires shall comply with 501.130(A) or (B).
(A) Class I, Division 1. In Class I, Division 1 locations, luminaires shall comply with 501.130(A)(1) through(A)(4).
(1) Luminaires. Each luminaire shall be identified as a complete assembly for the Class I, Division 1 location and shall be clearly marked to indicate the maximum wattage of lamps for which it is identified. Luminaires intended for portable use shall be specifically listed as a complete assembly for that use.
I have mentioned before that identified does not necessarily mean listed or labeled; however, is does mean it has been reviewed under Section 500.8(A) for suitability and listing is probably the best method in this case.

If the original luminaire was properly identified as an ?assembly?, then it included the lamps and ballasts. A lamp substitution even of the same or lower wattage, would not necessarily retain the ?identification.? The new "assembly" may work safely, but without a proper determination of suitability, it should not be considered acceptable.

fbhwt

Occupation
I have mentioned before that identified does not necessarily mean listed or labeled; however, is does mean it has been reviewed under Section 500.8(A) for suitability and listing is probably the best method in this case.

If the original luminaire was properly identified as an ?assembly?, then it included the lamps and ballasts. A lamp substitution even of the same or lower wattage, would not necessarily retain the ?identification.? The new "assembly" may work safely, but without a proper determination of suitability, it should not be considered acceptable.

I agree and thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.