Wall scone from England thats 2-1/2" wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHkorn

I have an architect thats really wants to use some wall sconces from England that are 2-1/2" wide.
Anyone have an idea what u.s. box they would mount to?

John120/240

Why not just order your boxes from England along with the fixtures. At least this way the

fixture mounting holes would line up. However listing, & box fill could be issues.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Listing will be a very big issue if the installation is required to comply with NEC.

Lets start by reading 410.6:
My thoughts exactly. Is the fixture listed. If so a metal switch box may do the trick but I have seen some crazy rigs on some old antique fixtures that had small canopies.

PetrosA

You might get them to mount to a door jamb switch box, but I don't think that will CYA with UL listings ;). Many European luminaires are designed to be mounted to hooks on plaster walls or ceilings without any kind of box and simply won't match up to anything we have here (one of the dubious benefits of so much wood frame construction...). There aren't any boxes available in Europe that would have mounting options for these luminaires. Most boxes are plastic and are only designed to be embedded in plaster for device mounting.

One way to handle this that I've seen is to convert the sconce to 12V and use a Class 2 transformer. You'll likely need socket adapters from the European size to candelabra, and candelabra base 12V lamps. Is it a completely NEC compliant method? No, but it does seem like a safe compromise and can be done very neatly and in a professional looking manner. Responsibility would be on you.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have used mullion switch boxes before,(like what is used at hotel doors) there narrow enough for the fixture to cover, beats not having a box at all, of course I don't know if they even make that box any more. May be the same box as the door jamb switches someone else mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.