Low voltage lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone . I came upon a Service call in which I could use a little advice on. I have a multi tap low voltage transformer (Hadco Tss1293-22) The length of the longest run is approximately 450 feet in which we have two circuits of two#10 LV cables tapped off of the 22 volt taps. two circuits 175 watt of load each. Our end voltage is 10 volts at the last light. The 2nd run is approximately 225 feet with two #10 LV cables taped off of the 15 volt and 13 volt taps with one circuit with 175 watts and the other with 140 watts, an end voltage of 12 volts. The original contractor installed a 25 amp 120 volt square D breaker for a GFCI outdoor receptacle. There was also at one time an additional 250 watts of lights balanced between the 4 circuits in which were disconnected when we came to the property. The challenge that I have is that the 25 amp breaker will trip after a couple hours of operation. The GFCI receptacle does not fail. The secondary of the transformer which are rated at 25 amp 4 (300 watts) never trips. On some occasion's the 25 amp breaker trips immediately. We have a constant current on the line side of 3 amps without any load. With all of the load on we have a load of 6 amps. We have watched the current rise and between 16 amp and 6 amps. The transformer is approximately 6 years old. Any thoughts on this besides separating loads with new transformer's. or by a new 1200 unit.

II realize it is only a 20 amp circuit but if there is only a max load of 175 watts on a 25 amp breaker then I would look for a short in the wiring or a fixture.
Thanks for the reply. We checked for all of the obvious solutions. You would think that the secondary protection would trip on the low voltage side. if we had a short or ground fault in the fixtures or wiring. I think that we have a winding break down on the primary and once the transformer heat up that we would create short and then trip out.

Status
Not open for further replies.