which recessed can is right for sloped ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for new construction 6" sloped ceiling cans IC rated, air tight, and good quality. I have a vaulted ceiling that is a 5/12 pitch and peaks at about 16'. I'm stuck on the sloped can and am not interested in the eyeball method. I could really use some advice on what type can, bulb to use. I want to buy the right can rated for the bulb that will properly illuminate the room at these heights (kitchen). I've been looking at the Juno's. Why are the CFL rated cans way more expensive? It seems like you could just use a CFL bulb in an incandescent housing since the wattage is lower. Is this way off the mark? Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I'm looking for new construction 6" sloped ceiling cans IC rated, air tight, and good quality. I have a vaulted ceiling that is a 5/12 pitch and peaks at about 16'. I'm stuck on the sloped can and am not interested in the eyeball method. I could really use some advice on what type can, bulb to use. I want to buy the right can rated for the bulb that will properly illuminate the room at these heights (kitchen). I've been looking at the Juno's. Why are the CFL rated cans way more expensive? It seems like you could just use a CFL bulb in an incandescent housing since the wattage is lower. Is this way off the mark? Thanks

The CFL cans you asking about designed for specific CFL and contain a ballast for that particular lamp? Otherwise self ballasted CFL's typically have an edison base and can be used in any incandescent can, some maybe can't be in totally enclosed luminaire or need some ventilation or will have shorter life.

cadpoint

There are quiet a few free lighting programs that you
could use to mirror your lighting layout, if your so inclined!

Understanding the lamps aurora or beam and exact hue's
can be grasped. You almost need to see what you'll get, JMO.

Last edited:

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... Why are the CFL rated cans way more expensive? It seems like you could just use a CFL bulb in an incandescent housing since the wattage is lower. ...
Not sure about in Indiana, but in California it's an Energy Code thing. Out here, kitchen lighting has to be classified as "high efficacy," so you can't use incandescents for your kitchen lights (I don't do much residential, so there are probably some nuances I'm missing, but that's the gist of the rule). The CFL cans we use in kitchens take a lamp with some type of 2-pin base -- the Edison base cans aren't allowed in kitchens because [political rant] those evil homeowners might replace the CFLs with incandescents, and *gasp* use more than their fair share of energy! [/political rant]

In all seriousness, though, that's the way it works out here: if it's possible to install an incandescent lamp in the can, then it's not a CFL can and it can't be used in a kitchen. Therefore, since you almost have to use the CFL type of can, they can charge more -- supply and demand, and all that. But, as I said, that will vary from state to state.

kwired

Electron manager
Not sure about in Indiana, but in California it's an Energy Code thing. Out here, kitchen lighting has to be classified as "high efficacy," so you can't use incandescents for your kitchen lights (I don't do much residential, so there are probably some nuances I'm missing, but that's the gist of the rule). The CFL cans we use in kitchens take a lamp with some type of 2-pin base -- the Edison base cans aren't allowed in kitchens because [political rant] those evil homeowners might replace the CFLs with incandescents, and *gasp* use more than their fair share of energy! [/political rant]

In all seriousness, though, that's the way it works out here: if it's possible to install an incandescent lamp in the can, then it's not a CFL can and it can't be used in a kitchen. Therefore, since you almost have to use the CFL type of can, they can charge more -- supply and demand, and all that. But, as I said, that will vary from state to state.
True they can charge more just because they can, but at same time they probably do cost more at least to some extent. The CFL type will have a ballast as part of the unit, which maybe alone sells for more than an incandescent can does.

Status
Not open for further replies.