Lens cover for fluorescent fixtures in residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohms law

Is there any other reference to height requirements for fluorescent lens covers on residential besides 410.11-410.12. Reading this tells me you need a cover for any fluorescent fixture when the ceiling is under 8'. If someone wants to clarify, that would be great.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there any other reference to height requirements for fluorescent lens covers on residential besides 410.11-410.12. Reading this tells me you need a cover for any fluorescent fixture when the ceiling is under 8'. If someone wants to clarify, that would be great.
The goal is twofold:
1. To protect the tube from accidental mechanical damage and
2. To hold the pieces of a shattered tube so that they do not fall on somebody under the fixture.

It can, I believe, be either a lens on the fixture or individual covers on the tubes.

Ohms law

The goal is twofold:
1. To protect the tube from accidental mechanical damage and
2. To hold the pieces of a shattered tube so that they do not fall on somebody under the fixture.

It can, I believe, be either a lens on the fixture or individual covers on the tubes.

My questions is , is the required? When the code refers to combustable, you would think in a garage it would be required, correct?

mgookin

I thought they were only required in restaurants (to keep broken glass out of food) and in areas subject to impact (a workshop, for example) but I don't know what article it would be in. Is that what OP is asking?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Looking through the NEC, I see requirements for protection from physical damage in specific locations (agricultural buildings, hazardous classified locations, indoor sports facilities, etc.), but I don't see anything specific to residential installations, or residential garages.

I don't see how 410.11 would apply to a fluorescent luminaire in a residential garage. This section is intended to prevent "combustible material" around the luminaire from getting hot enough to burst into flames. If the outside of your fluorescent strip light is hot enough to make something near it spontaneously combust, you've got bigger problems.

410.12 only applies to "lampholders installed over highly combustible material." I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that a luminaire installed in a residential garage is "over highly combustible material." Yes, gasoline is very combustible, but it's pretty rare for somebody to store an open bucket of gasoline in their garage. Gasoline inside a gas can or a vehicle's gas tank is pretty stable, and is not in much danger of being ignited by the light on the garage ceiling. There are LOTS of houses out there with exposed fluorescent strip lights installed in the garage -- there have been for years -- and have you ever heard of a fire or an explosion caused by those lights lacking a lens or wire guard? I haven't.

There's certainly nothing wrong with installing lensed fixtures in a garage, but as far as I can tell it's not an NEC requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.