Luminares in suspended ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.
An inspector told me that lights in suspended ceilings are required to be wired to the building structure independent of the ceiling grid support. He said that can lights are required to have 1 wire & 2X4 lay-ins are required to have 2 wires. I know that 410.36(B) covers fixtures in suspended ceilings but it doesn't require separate fixture support wires, only that he grid be adequately supported, locked together and the fixtures be fastened to the grid. Is there another section that covers it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
NEC requires fastening only to the grid, anything further would come out of the building code.

mgookin

NEC requires fastening only to the grid, anything further would come out of the building code.

Or fire code and it could come via NFPA 101 or a local or state amendment. Logic is fire dept comes in with an axe to find fire above a ceiling. They don't want your 2x4 fixtures coming down with the ceiling.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
However, depending on how you are wiring to the luminaires, you may need to put in additional support wires anyway, just not to suspend the luminaires themselves.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
An inspector told me that lights in suspended ceilings are required to be wired to the building structure independent of the ceiling grid support. He said that can lights are required to have 1 wire & 2X4 lay-ins are required to have 2 wires. I know that 410.36(B) covers fixtures in suspended ceilings but it doesn't require separate fixture support wires, only that he grid be adequately supported, locked together and the fixtures be fastened to the grid. Is there another section that covers it?

Ask the inspector what code he is referencing.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
However, depending on how you are wiring to the luminaires, you may need to put in additional support wires anyway, just not to suspend the luminaires themselves.

True, I should have emphasized that the building code is the only possible requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.