Have LED Lighting Been Accepted By Design Pro's Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbabb

------------------------------------

Lately I have used many T5HO. Cuts down on the quantify of fixtures even in an office. Fewer fixtures = less cost, less installation labor. Also, the new T5HO's have lifetimes up to 40,000 hours. Lumens per watt are up to 90 L/W. The newer indirect, linear fixtures have efficiencies over 90%. Yes, sometimes the high efficiency fixtures cost more, but they pay for themselves. An every client for whom I used them absolutely loves the quality of light.

For large industrial, warehouse, etc. areas, you just can't beat 4, 6, or 8 lamp T5HO fixtures. Don't need near as many as even HID.

JMHO

RC

RC,

Thanks for the info. I would not have thought offices were a good application for the HO's because of the brightness. Good to know that your clients are happy with that as I would have expected otherwise.

I absolutely agree with you on the high bays.

jcbabb

Well, we maybe there yet....

At least as far as the petrochem industry goes.

It appears that the latest development by Eaton(Crouse-Hinds) of their newly redesigned fixture, using new driver and LED engine is a paradigm shifter. Combined life expectancy is 104,000 hours and that is based on the premise of 40C operation and driver failure. LED L70 is @ 174,000, so lumen depreciation has also drastically improved.

I used their calculator for a sample, medium size project for 250 LED fixtures and low labor and electricity rates, and the ROI was 0.4 years.

Can you provide a link or model number for this fixture?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would not have thought offices were a good application for the HO's because of the brightness. Good to know that your clients are happy with that as I would have expected otherwise.
Best if the fixture is designed to diffuse and spread the light. In that case the concentrated brightness of the bulb itself is not an issue.
If you use fewer luminaires the dispersion angle of each has to be higher with an office ceiling.

Ragin Cajun said:
... The newer indirect, linear fixtures...

Can you provide a link or model number for this fixture?

Look at the LED mini-site provided via the C-H website. The operational data is NOT updated, so none of the data I was referring to shown there, but the C-H sales engineer had these in a presentation and I was confident that he has the data to back it up. I guess the marketing campaign is lagging, but the fixture is shipping out this month. It is the new VMV series, 5 sizes up to 400W HID equivalent.

If C-H's got things truly together and lifetimes come close to claimed together, Haz areas definitely could see an improvement. 40C may be low for process areas, 50C may be more realistic. What is the lifetime for 50C? The "ouch" will be in replacing bad LED's or drivers. Hopefully one can reuse the fixture and not have to replace it, that would be a killer!

RC

They have the data for the 50C rating as well, and it is also improved, the lumen depreciation curve had a slight slope not as drastic as before. but realistically speaking that would ONLY exist in enclosed or non-ventilated areas which would make it Cl. I, Div.1 areas and these fixtures are for Div. 2 locations. 50C would also make it OSHA prohibitive for human occupancy, therefore illumination would not be required :lol:.

Let me also add that I believe that the test is conducted AT continuous 50C exposure or the equivalent elevated temperature, and not a normal day-night and summer/winter cycles, so the life expectancy can be even higher.

The drive IS replaceable, I am not so sure about the light engine itself as it is located under a sealed glass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.