NC energy code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

In section 404.1 0f the 2012 NC Residential energy code it states that "a minimum of 75% of the lamps in permanently installed fixtures shall be high-efficient lamps". Now our county inspector is giving every one a fit over this code. My question is I have about 35 can lights in a new construction home. The HO has a stigmatism and needs bright light. The best thing I can come up with it a halogen lamp that is 80 watt with the output of a 120watt. It states on the box energy efficient. It also has an asterisk stating that the lamp meets the minimum federal energy code. So what do they conceder a High-efficient Lamp?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In section 404.1 0f the 2012 NC Residential energy code it states that "a minimum of 75% of the lamps in permanently installed fixtures shall be high-efficient lamps". Now our county inspector is giving every one a fit over this code. My question is I have about 35 can lights in a new construction home. The HO has a stigmatism and needs bright light. The best thing I can come up with it a halogen lamp that is 80 watt with the output of a 120watt. It states on the box energy efficient. It also has an asterisk stating that the lamp meets the minimum federal energy code. So what do they conceder a High-efficient Lamp?

In Ca we have the Title 24 energy code. This code state that incandescent of any kind is non energy efficiant or " High Efficacy".
What is HE is CFL, MH , LED.

It all depends on the Definition.
Also here in the Democratic republican of California you cannot even install a regular can light or edison type socket fixture in a Kitchem Where high Efficacy is required. This prohbits the owner from installing the wrong lamp.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Are you saying that you as the EC cannot supply and install bright light that is High efficacy ,,, Comon get real ... That is lame.

I have heard it all . CA been doing this since the late 70's

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In a situation such as this would a letter from the doctor stating the need for bright light override the NC energy code ? Would this come under the ADA act ?

No exception required. Just put in the number of incandescent fixtures desired for customer comfort and then put in three times that amount of HE lighting to make the whole thing compliant. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The strange thing about this code is that you have to use cfl's or LED's (my guess) but the home owner can change them at a later time. Of course by then they may not even make incandescent bulbs anymore.

An incandescent could be energy efficient if they can make one that puts out the amount of light as say a 100 watt bulb but only used 75 watts--- I think there is a percentage of efficiency that it must be

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
The strange thing about this code is that you have to use cfl's or LED's (my guess) but the home owner can change them at a later time. Of course by then they may not even make incandescent bulbs anymore.
Some state energy codes deal with this by requiring a built-in or irreversibly inserted special socket or restrictor that will not allow an incandescent bulb to be screwed in.
The home owner would then have to change the entire innards of the can or other fixture.

ceb58

An incandescent could be energy efficient if they can make one that puts out the amount of light as say a 100 watt bulb but only used 75 watts--- I think there is a percentage of efficiency that it must be

That's what I am trying to find out. The ones that I am looking at are 60w with the same output as a 100w. They are marked for meeting the fed. minimum energy standard. Our inspector is nit picking this code while the inspectors in neighboring counties are not pushing it. It took the GC 3 rough-in inspections to get the blocking and vapor barrier to pass inspection.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
That's what I am trying to find out. The ones that I am looking at are 60w with the same output as a 100w. They are marked for meeting the fed. minimum energy standard. Our inspector is nit picking this code while the inspectors in neighboring counties are not pushing it. It took the GC 3 rough-in inspections to get the blocking and vapor barrier to pass inspection.
The federal energy standard that allows an incandescent bulb to continue to be manufactured for sale and sold in the US is different from the energy code standard about required efficacy for certain residential applications. Meeting the first does not imply meeting the second.
You also need to look at the state or local energy code that may apply for the second definition.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

I am sorry but are are not getting the point.
You will need to find another lamp other than a incandescent. You have to use T-8 , CFL , LED or other type that meets the Lumens per watt. I seriously doubt that you will find it.

I do not condone nor do I do it for my customers here. But you can install the High Efficacy lighting and then remove it once you have your inspection.

The code is the code and feel very lucky the other counties do not enforce the code.
I do not like being force fed this garbage but I also do not like paying the price for the power either.

ceb58

I am sorry but are are not getting the point.
You will need to find another lamp other than a incandescent. You have to use T-8 , CFL , LED or other type that meets the Lumens per watt. I seriously doubt that you will find it.

I do not condone nor do I do it for my customers here. But you can install the High Efficacy lighting and then remove it once you have your inspection.

The code is the code and feel very lucky the other counties do not enforce the code.
I do not like being force fed this garbage but I also do not like paying the price for the power either.

More than likely that is what will happen. Get the cheapest CFL'S I can and after the CO inspection let the HO put in the halogens.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I looked up your energy code. No as bad as CA but you have to learn to live with it.
Ok the code says this. And please don't shoot the messanger.

ELECTRICAL POWER AND LIGHTING SYSTEMS
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]404.1 Lighting equipment (Prescriptive).
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A minimum of 75 percent of the lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]high-efficacy lamps[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. ]

Then it says by definition of High Efficay:

HIGH-EFFICACY LAMPS. Compact fluorescent lamps, T-8 or smaller diameter linear fluorescent lamps, or lamps with a minimum efficacy of:
1. 60 lumens per watt for lamps over 40 watts,
2. 50 lumens per watt for lamps over 15 watts to 40 watts, and
3. 40 lumens per watt for lamps 15 watts or less.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

SO in other words you do not use INCANDESCENT or HALOGEN!
You are asking to change the speed of light. There is no way currently to get an Efficacy of 60 Lumens per watt with Incandescent. Hell with a CFL you get about 70 lpw.

You do have alternatives but it appears that your GC and architect have been asleep at the Drawingboard. There is a perfomance based alternative. It appears to be similar to CA in some respect that allows the entire structure to be used in the energy calcs. if you do a better job in someplaces you get some trade offs.
It appears to too late for this project.

Hope this helps.

ceb58

I looked up your energy code. No as bad as CA but you have to learn to live with it.

404.1 Lighting equipment (Prescriptive).
A minimum of 75 percent of the lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be high-efficacy lamps. ]

Then it says by definition of High Efficay:

HIGH-EFFICACY LAMPS. Compact fluorescent lamps, T-8 or smaller diameter linear fluorescent lamps, or lamps with a minimum efficacy of:
1. 60 lumens per watt for lamps over 40 watts,
2. 50 lumens per watt for lamps over 15 watts to 40 watts, and
3. 40 lumens per watt for lamps 15 watts or less.

SO in other words you do not use INCANDESCENT or HALOGEN!
You are asking to change the speed of light. There is no way currently to get an Efficacy of 60 Lumens per watt with Incandescent. Hell with a CFL you get about 70 lpw.

You do have alternatives but it appears that your GC and architect have been asleep at the Drawingboard. There is a perfomance based alternative. It appears to be similar to CA in some respect that allows the entire structure to be used in the energy calcs. if you do a better job in someplaces you get some trade offs.
It appears to too late for this project.

Hope this helps.

That's what I needed. I had 404.1 but was looking for the definition for High-efficacy. Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation

... lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be ....

Just to nail this down, are track lights considered to be permanently installed, given that the they can be easily moved around and increased or decreased in number? They are not cord connected, but does that make them permanently installed?
Does that code define the term somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.