LED Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLSolutions

Asked to retrofit an office and warehouse to led fixtures. Office area has 2x4 t-12 4-lamp lay-ins, i was thinking of just doing two "led t-8" lamps in each since the fixtures are so close to each other, a 12x8 foot office has 4 fixtures. Any suggestions for a particular brand? I also contemplated just changing the whole fixture. Cant imagine the labor to change a whole fixture is much more than ripping out a ballast, and they look dated. As for the warehouse its about 30 feet to the deck, the owner asked about led, my suggestion was for t-5 HO fixtures, is there an led equal that isn't way more expensive? thanks guys

dereckbc

Staff member
I would have a chat with the customer. LED are improving, but for warehouse lighting still not up to par. T5-HO are more efficient and cost less. From your POV LED's benefit you more than the customer as you get mo money, so I can understand your position. So if the customer insist on LED's just make sure he understands it may not be the most cost effective, and may meet his expectations.

Last edited:

TNBaer

UL doesn't approve LED tubes. Both Columbia and Lithonia have commodity LED troffers fairly in expensively.

The problem with LED highbays is solely cost. I've done some nice projects but the cost is easily 4 - 5 times that of T5 HO. The upside is I've done projects using about half the juice of T5 with the right fixture. Columbia's LLHP & Gigatera's Luna fixture are nicely priced with great optics and lots of light.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
UL doesn't approve LED tubes. Both Columbia and Lithonia have commodity LED troffers fairly in expensively.

The problem with LED highbays is solely cost. I've done some nice projects but the cost is easily 4 - 5 times that of T5 HO. The upside is I've done projects using about half the juice of T5 with the right fixture. Columbia's LLHP & Gigatera's Luna fixture are nicely priced with great optics and lots of light.

If you think you can trust the combined LED and driver life estimates, be sure to factor in the cost and time for eventual relamping the T-8 fluorescent lu minaries.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UL doesn't approve LED tubes.
This is simply not true. A quick Google search turned up Philips T8 retrofits that are UL Classified. See the Philips LED T8 Lamps Product Bulletin and UL Compliance documents linked on the Philips site.

The problem with LED highbays is solely cost. I've done some nice projects but the cost is easily 4 - 5 times that of T5 HO.
This is absolutely true. There are some really nice looking and efficient LED high bay fixtures out there, but they're just soooooo much more expensive than T5 strips.

TNBaer

This is simply not true. A quick Google search turned up Philips T8 retrofits that are UL Classified. See the Philips LED T8 Lamps Product Bulletin and UL Compliance documents linked on the Philips site.

I stand semi-corrected. Yes, there are a few companies with UL listed stuff, Philips and Maxlite both being companies that make UL listed LED T8 lamps. These have an external ballast (driver) that complies with many socket manufacturers' specifications. However, when the driver is part of the tube itself I do not believe it complies with UL (and, if so, certainly not any tombstone manufacturer that I'm aware of). And the vast majority of what we see in the market is the stuff with internal drivers or, worse, using a T8 ballast to drive the current to an LED tube.

Also, be aware that Philips LED tubes are a paltry 1,650 lumens as compared to a T8 at 2,800 lumens (or thereabouts). That's a tremendous difference. Plus, you need 1 driver for every two lamps you want to run. A 3 lamp system requires 2 drivers and delivers 4,800 lumens, that's far from ideal.

So, can it be done? I guess. Should it be? Well now, that's another question entirely.

LLSolutions

Im gonna push for the T-5HO high bays, i feel way more comfortable doing the layout and i know how they'll light the place. Customer said he had leds in the old office space, come to find out that he took out all the lay ins and cut high hats in with led trims, again i'm gonna find some nice t-5 2x2s. Thanks Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.