T8 Retrofits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speshulk

Does anyone know if a source for a retrofit kit for a 4' 4 bulb fixture? I'm looking for something to retrofit lay in troffers but everything I find includes a reflector, which is unnecessary.

kbsparky

Most of the time, all you need is a new ballast.

Check the label on the ballast, to see if you need "shunted" sockets. If so, then be sure to wire-nut both sides of each socket to the new leads to emulate shunted sockets. The original sockets that are used for T-12 bulbs can be used with the T-8 bulbs if they are in good physical condition, since the spacing of the pins on the tubes are the same.

Ragin Cajun

Most of the time, all you need is a new ballast.

Check the label on the ballast, to see if you need "shunted" sockets. If so, then be sure to wire-nut both sides of each socket to the new leads to emulate shunted sockets. The original sockets that are used for T-12 bulbs can be used with the T-8 bulbs if they are in good physical condition, since the spacing of the pins on the tubes are the same.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "shunted" socket?

RC

Ragin Cajun

Usually we.replace a 4 banger with a 2 banger including a reflector.

This likely is the way to go. It's also a good time to move to T5's. You might want to take some light meter readings on the existing fixtures and run some calcs on what you really need. You then can make a decision to move to T5's, regular or HO.

For anything other than residential, I have moved to T5HO, either with a step ballast or a dimming ballast (preferred). You can get fixture efficiencies over 90% now!

RC

kbsparky

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "shunted" socket?

RC

Shunted means that both contacts in the socket are electrically connected. Many electronic ballasts for T-8 bulbs require the sockets to be shunted or both pins to be connected to the single lead that terminates there.

TNBaer

This likely is the way to go. It's also a good time to move to T5's. You might want to take some light meter readings on the existing fixtures and run some calcs on what you really need. You then can make a decision to move to T5's, regular or HO.

For anything other than residential, I have moved to T5HO, either with a step ballast or a dimming ballast (preferred). You can get fixture efficiencies over 90% now!

RC

In all fairness, T8 is more energy efficient, less expensive, and more reliable.

I've used a lot of reflector kits. Some of them from, say, US Energy Sciences, will send bits and pieces fairly inexpensively. You'll have to put the kits together which isn't very time consuming. Other companies, like TCP or Optimum, will include the ballast already pre-wired to sockets and new socket bars. I'm usually a fan of new fixtures, especially if the rebates are good. But kits can work wonders if the existing fixtures are still in alright condition.

jcbabb

In all fairness, T8 is more energy efficient, less expensive, and more reliable...

This has been my experience as well. The higher cost of the T5's is often reason enough to stick with T8's, especially for retrofits where you are not necessarily able to reduce overall fixture count.

Status
Not open for further replies.