2012 International Energy Conservation Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtom

I don't post much but I do look at this forum many times a week, it is a great resource.

I do 99% of my work in the City of Chicago. I am bidding on a large unfinished basement to-be-finished-basement job in a nearby suburb. Went online to read their local construction codes which includes the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code which I never had to deal with as of yet in Chicago. From reading online, I know about the lighting requirements (80% energy efficient lighting).

Just a quick question: I would like to install air-tite and IC-rated recessed can lights, CFL or LED bulbs, and LED/CFL/incandescent combo dimmers. Is this correct or do the can lights need to have sockets that will only allow non-incandescent bulbs? (ie: what stops the homeowner from removing the LED/CFL bulbs as soon as job is inspected and put in standard incandescent bulbs???).

Also, does the International Energy Conservation Code apply only to the new construction area (basement) or do I have to change 80% of the bulbs in the entire home?

Suppose I could call the local inspector out there! Was just wondering what you guys do for this situation.

Thank you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Usually energy codes require that fixtures which are going to be counted as high efficacy lighting not be able to accept incandescent replacement bulbs. I have not specifically checked the language of the 2012 IECC though.
As for whether the remodel permit triggers an efficiency upgrade for the whole house, that would be a local or state question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.