Remote heads for Exits (Outside egress )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me why city inspectors are requiring remote heads outside of the point of egress? I have looked in NFPA 101 and NEC both and can't find where they are required. Anybody?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I do not have s copy to quote, but I have seen fire code text quoted here that required outside lighting all the way from the building exit to the intended public right of way on the exit route.
Lighting just outside the exit door would be either all or part of that requirement depending on the surroundings of the building.
FWIW, that particular requirement could also be met by a pole mounted light some distance from the exit. At the exit would just be easier to install.
Meanwhile NEC has requirements for outside exit/entry lights for some buildings, but not emergency powered.

Tapatalk!

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
NFPA 101 describes this as the "exit discharge" - one of the 3 components of the "means of egress", and as such, the "exit discharge" gets the same emerg lighting as the other components

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you look in the 2009 edition of the IBC, the exterior illumination is not required if the building isn't required to have 2 or more exits. See 1006.3.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
hmmmm looks like the IBC requires emergency lighting - indsie and out - only for buildings required to have two or more exits

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Or looking at it another way:
If inside egress lighting is required, then the outside lighting is required too.
If the inside lighting is not required but is provided anyway, then the outside lighting is optional.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.