RadioRA 2 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

garrcass

Thanks in advance

Are all radio RA switches and multi button devices 3&4 way compatible?

Will the standard 3&4 way still work and override the radioRA switch?

Can levels of dimming and multiple lights be pre programmed into just a radioRA multi button switch?

If one master button is used to turn on multiple light sources at pre programmed levels can you have them in a automatic switching mode to override a standard 3&4 way that could be switched.

Any one have any trouble with the radio RA ?

Is the programing user friendly?

I can't be going out to 're program the client's house can you lock all the devices or program?

Thanks in advance

Are all radio RA switches and multi button devices 3&4 way compatible?

Will the standard 3&4 way still work and override the radioRA switch?

Can levels of dimming and multiple lights be pre programmed into just a radioRA multi button switch?

If one master button is used to turn on multiple light sources at pre programmed levels can you have them in a automatic switching mode to override a standard 3&4 way that could be switched.

Any one have any trouble with the radio RA ?

Is the programing user friendly?

I can't be going out to 're program the client's house can you lock all the devices or program?

I did a house 8 years ago with lots of radio RA, Grafik eye, and chronos stuff. It was the previous generation however. I can answer some of your questions:

1) These work analogously to the smart dimmers that you can dim from any location. You get a regular radio RA switch or dimmer and remotes for any subsequent locations. Dont connect with3 or 4 way regular devices.

2) See #1

3) not sure what a multi button switch is, I am not really op on the stuff. You definitely can with the grafic eye.

4) See #1, use Proper RA remotes at additional locations.

5) Havnt had a singel problem with the system I put in 8 years ago, I have been back now and than to add a few additional devices

6) I found the programming pretty easy to figure out. I remember having to call tech support about a thing or two and they were super helpful

7. Not sure about locking the prgramming

cainisunabel

Are you trying to keep existing multi-location devices in the switching system? If so, it won't work; but you can replace those devices with slave dimmers to accomplish this task. You should really contract Lutron or your local dealer about taking the free ra2 course. It is online, super easy and helpful. I'm not sure what therequirements are to take the course though as I didn't do it until after spending a week in Pennsylvania training for qs.

Sent from my N861 using Tapatalk

garrcass

Just trying to figure out how extensive this could get..

If I would have to 're wire and blank off switches or what.

This is actually a friends client I don't know exactly what he expects or wants.. my buddy is not verry techy and asked me to help

My wholesale house is not being verry helpful I need to see if my regular wholesale house carries lutron.

Last edited:

TobyD

The last project I did was a couple of years ago.I do know that we wired a basic 3way /4way typical layout.But, I think the switches had to be compatiable with each other.The switches had a blue screw terminal and some did require a neutral to be connected to the device .We had some mixed up old style switches that caused issues.

Now, the button switches you mentioned.These do clean up the wall'' acne'' so to speak.You need to power up each location with 120 v.(door entries) But ,you'll need to locate each load /control at a designated location(mechanical room).Then the repeater and the button switches can communicate to each other.Note the button switches we used could maintain 7 button functons in a single gang box.I'll try to pm you a number to call.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
If you get to talking to Lutron ask them if the RadioRA is compatible with LED bulb which you may change to in the future. It sounds like there might be an issue with the low current draw of LEDs and the controls at least from another manufacturer.

SMHarman

Well if I can't use these on 3&4 ways I think the whole project is scrapped

It stops working like a traditional 3 way.

One primary device is connected to the load.

The 2 And 3 And 4 need power only. They have no physical relrelationship. Like a wired 3 way but a virtual one over the radio.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

SMHarman

If you get to talking to Lutron ask them if the RadioRA is compatible with LED bulb which you may change to in the future. It sounds like there might be an issue with the low current draw of LEDs and the controls at least from another manufacturer.
Usually they need a 10w load to dim properly.

And the LED needs to be dimmable.

garrcass

It stops working like a traditional 3 way.

One primary device is connected to the load.

The 2 And 3 And 4 need power only. They have no physical relrelationship. Like a wired 3 way but a virtual one over the radio.

So what becomes of the 3&4 way switches? Do they function at all can you have them overridden by the RA switch If it is in the on position.

SMHarman

^ every switch in the 3 way is replaced with a radio ra one.
The electrical wiring is configured so one switch is now a single switch and the other two have no switching
That is the primary radio ra.
The second and theirs locations get a ra switch that needs power only for the switch.
Those two switches are programmed electronically to pair with the switch with the load then all act like a 3 way just the 2 nd and 3 rd locations are sending a radio message to the primary to on / off / dim.

garrcass

Ok so now I understand how the 3&4 way would work. Thank you

So with one of the multi button switches lets say a 3 button would I be able to program the system to have multiple switch legs come on at pre set dimming levels so the user could have let's say 3 moods? And what would happen if someone pushed one of the radio RA 3 ways does that particular light default to the local switch

CT Tom

Ok so now I understand how the 3&4 way would work. Thank you

So with one of the multi button switches lets say a 3 button would I be able to program the system to have multiple switch legs come on at pre set dimming levels so the user could have let's say 3 moods? And what would happen if someone pushed one of the radio RA 3 ways does that particular light default to the local switch

You can program "Scenes" so a button press turns lights on to a preset level. (Lutron calls them Scenes, not moods)

If you hit the slave dimmer, it just triggers the on/off function of the main dimmer.

I'm an L3 certified Ra2 contractor, feel free to ask away and/or PM me. Happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.