Track Lighting for wiremold hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue hopefully you can help with. Customer wants two sections of track lighing installed in office area that gives me no other option than to run wiremold in order to get power to them. My problem is finding a good set up to transition the wiremold to the track lighting. Is there any type of track lighinh out there that provides a surface mount j-box allowing me to run the wiremold into? That of course looks decent. Any ideas or pictures would be great. Thanks in advance.

fmtjfw

What does the track lighting termination look like?
If it has a ? inch K/O at the end: 5781
If it has a K/O on its back (into the ceiling): V5784 and a short length of cable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Wiremold makes an end piece that we used to call a mouse that will adapt to the live end of a track that is made for conduit. Wiremold also makes a fitting that slips into the raceway and has threads on the other end. I will try and find pics.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The first two are wiremold fittings and the other the track end. The first fitting you will need to offset the wiremold but the second fitting will go right into the track end with a nipple or a chase nipple.

images
369c2a8d-ef23-4177-9456-e241fbe33431_300.jpg
31Dz7ldst6L._SX342_.jpg

Strahan

The first two are wiremold fittings and the other the track end. The first fitting you will need to offset the wiremold but the second fitting will go right into the track end with a nipple or a chase nipple.

images
369c2a8d-ef23-4177-9456-e241fbe33431_300.jpg
31Dz7ldst6L._SX342_.jpg

Thank you for the help Dennis. I'm not a huge fan of wiremold therefore I try and avoid using it unless I have to. This helps!

fmtjfw

You might also think about getting a WireMold canopy cutter (EBAY?) which can be used to make a WireMold 500 or 700 shaped notch in a metal enclosure. The enclosure for the track light terminals may be too small or or plastic. You could also use a Dremel tool if you have a steady hand. If you use either method then you cannot depend on the WireMold raceway for the equipment ground and would need to run a conductor EGC if grounding is needed.

Attachments

• wiremoldnotcher1.jpg
    wiremoldnotcher1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.