Recessed LED lighting-MR16 bulb with Lutron Vierti dimmer - FLicker/on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike9593

I installed approximately 60 4" recessed LED fixtures. The fixtures use a MR16, 10 Watt bulb. Driver is supposed to be designed for exactly this bulb. The dimmers used are Lutron's Vierti style. This is in a residence.

The fixture manufacturer recommended these dimmers, although they are not on Lutron's website as being tested and approved.

The problem I'm having is that approximately 15% of the fixtures are either flickering or going on and off. None of the fixtures are doing it at the same time, - different times and different intervals. If a room has say 8 fixtures, one or two fixtures will have this problem at different times. In other rooms, no problem. In yet another room one,two or three fixtures--but again at different times. Never does more than 1 one fixture blink or go on and off at the same time.

I've eliminated loose wiring as this would not be so common around the house, also more than one fixture would be intermittent at the same time. I've suspected the socket at first because it seems to start happening after 1/2 hour of so when the lamps heat up. And the pins on the lamp seemed to be loose.
I changes about 10 sockets, and they seemed to be much tighter and also had a larger heat shield. Seemed to work at first, most lights stopped flickering and going on and off. But the problem still exists although less fixtures are flickering.
The manufacturer is blaming a "power surge", but I tried to tell the customer that power surges are typically either from the utility or lightning and not created within the home.
If it was a loose wire in the sub panel the lights would be doing this in unision -If it was the dimmer then all lights on the dimmer would be doing it together.

Also, if I reduce the dimmer one step - the problem seems to go away.
Does anyone have any ideas I can try. The customer says I will not get paid unitl the lights stop flickering...:weeping:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If Lutron has not tested them then I would not count on them working. What happens when the dimmer is taken out of the circuit?

Electric-Light

I installed approximately 60 4" recessed LED fixtures. The fixtures use a MR16, 10 Watt bulb. Driver is supposed to be designed for exactly this bulb. The dimmers used are Lutron's Vierti style. This is in a residence.

There are three components to interaction in low voltage systems.
Lamp's built-in driver, transformer and dimmer.
Figure out if the transformer is magnetic or electronic.
I'd try to load it at least 50%. Lightly loaded transformers become unstable. The driver maybe the right driver for it, but that doesn't mean it will work from one bulb to maximum load.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service...al/Design-SelectionTools/LEDDimmerMatrix.aspx

Email them the lamp model, number of lamps transformer and the transformer model if you still can't get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.