Bucket truck CDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
You should not need one for that truck

Class A CDL drivers. Drive vehicles weighing 26,001 pounds or greater, or any combination of vehicles weighing 26,001 pounds or greater when towing a trailer weighing more than 10,000 pounds. Transports quantities of hazardous materials that require warning placards under Department of Public Safety regulations.

GrayHair

CDL requirements can vary by state. but I would say No. Basically, "Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds."

nhfire77

Anybody know the weight a bucket truck has to be before you need a CDL?

A truck exactly like this one is what I'm wondering about.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/navymailman/6650591463

You won't need a CDL but the truck needs a DOT number for 10000lb gvw and over. This doesn't account for state regulations.

....aaaaand the driver needs a DOT Medical Exam and Commercial Motor Vehicle Certification for any vehicles over 10000lb-

See more at: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/medical/d...or-vehicle-certification#sthash.3SgixmUN.dpuf

This is why they make 9900lb gvw box trucks, to get around it

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

....aaaaand the driver needs a DOT Medical Exam and Commercial Motor Vehicle Certification for any vehicles over 10000lb-

I believe that only applies if you operate the vehicle across state lines. If all of your work is within one state you don't need the medical.

Eddy Current

CDL requirements can vary by state. but I would say No. Basically, "Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds."

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it but, I tow a scissor lift around too.

I am very sure it does in Illinois and I believe that comes from the federal CDL rules.

I was looking into that and I found the wording is a bit tricky and not quite uniform between different sources. My final conclusion is that if the trailer is over 10000, the combination cant be over 26000 or else a CDL is required. If the trailer is 10000 or under, the combination can be over 26000, as long as the truck itself isnt.

http://www.cdltrainingconsultants.com/Who_Needs_a_CDL_.html

Whew....Ive been pulling my 14,000 GVWR dump trailer around quite a bit lately and I dont have a cdl.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was looking into that and I found the wording is a bit tricky and not quite uniform between different sources. My final conclusion is that if the trailer is over 10000, the combination cant be over 26000 or else a CDL is required. If the trailer is 10000 or under, the combination can be over 26000, as long as the truck itself isnt.

http://www.cdltrainingconsultants.com/Who_Needs_a_CDL_.html

Whew....Ive been pulling my 14,000 GVWR dump trailer around quite a bit lately and I dont have a cdl.
Hee
Here is what Illinois says. You are closer to being right than I was.
[h=2]
Vehicles Requiring a CDL
[/h]
  • Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.
CDL and Non-CDL Classifications

• Class A — Combination of vehicles with a GCWR* of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Class B — Single vehicle with a GVWR* of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Class C — Single vehicle with a GVWR* of at least 16,001 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds.
  • Class D — Single vehicle with a GVWR* of less than 16,001 pounds.
  • *GCWR — Gross Combination Weight Rating
  • *GVWR — Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
[h=2][/h]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I believe that only applies if you operate the vehicle across state lines. If all of your work is within one state you don't need the medical.

I am required to have the medical and I work in in Washington,but the rules can vary by state. The most recent change is you need proof of citizenship to renew or apply for CDL

Status
Not open for further replies.