12V Landscaping Lighting Near In-Ground Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Are there any code sections other than 680.22(C)* that deal with 12V landscaping light distances from the inside of the pool wall? 3W Led lights are to be installed 8' from water's edge. Mfg directions list 10' minimum; is this distance on the 11 or 14 code cycle, international codes, or just a number they pulled from the air? The 300W transformer is cord and plug and fed from a GFCI receptacle in the crawlspace.

*411.4(B) in the 08 NEC lists 10', unless permitted by article 680. Does that read they same way in the 2011/14 books? 680.22(C)(4) permits an 8' install if the luminaires are GFCI protected, yes? Does the fact that there is an xfmr in the mix change anything?

Yes, I know, 110.3(B), but I'd change mfg if possible rather than push the lights 2' off of the concrete deck in the middle of the grass, illuminating nothing.

eta: these are not cord and plug; they are DC and use IDC connectors on 2 conductor stranded DB cable.... does that make it an "other outlet" as defined in 680.22(E)?

Last edited:

user 100

Questions answered in red from the 2014- cut me some slack though, it's early, coffee is still brewing......

Are there any code sections other than 680.22(C)* that deal with 12V landscaping light distances from the inside of the pool wall? 411.5(B) 3W Led lights are to be installed 8' from water's edge. Mfg directions list 10' minimum; is this distance on the 11 or 14 code cycle, international codes, or just a number they pulled from the air? The same distance is in 411.5(B)The 300W transformer is cord and plug and fed from a GFCI receptacle in the crawlspace.

*411.4(B) in the 08 NEC lists 10', unless permitted by article 680. Does that read they same way in the 2011/14 books?Yes, it is now 411.5(B) 680.22(C)(4) permits an 8' install if the luminaires are GFCI protected, yes? Not in your case. Does the fact that there is an xfmr in the mix change anything?
Yes it does. GFCI protection would only work on the primary side- The luminaires would not be protected, but read on: I don't believe the following is in the '08 (I don't remember if it is or not, but IDT it was), so this is likely new text for you-

680.22(B)(6):Low-voltage luminaires. Listed low-voltage luminaires not requiring grounding, not exceeding the low voltage contact limit (in the 2014,this is listed under the 680.2 definitions, may be different or may not be in the '08) and supplied by a listed transformers or power supplies that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted to be located less than 5 feet from the inside walls of the pool.

Yes, I know, 110.3(B), but I'd change mfg if possible rather than push the lights 2' off of the concrete deck in the middle of the grass, illuminating nothing.
Best to follow the listing/rules.....

eta: these are not cord and plug; they are DC and use IDC connectors on 2 conductor stranded DB cable.... does that make it an "other outlet" as defined in 680.22(E)?
Informational note below 2014 680(D):

"Other outlets may include, but are not limited to, remote-control, signaling, fire alarm, and communications circuits."- so..........

Hope this helps.:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
On another note the trany in the crawl space may be an issue if you ran the underground lv wire directly to it. Underground lv wire is not listed for use inside as it does not have a vertical flame rating.

2- is the gfci in the crawl readily accessible?

3. IMO, low voltage light within 5' of the pool must be listed

(6) Low-Voltage Luminaires. Listed low-voltage luminaires
not requiring grounding, not exceeding the lowvoltage
contact limit, and supplied by listed transformers or
power supplies that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted
to be located less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside
walls of the pool.

IMO, if not the above then 10' is the closest the lv lights may be to a pool

JFletcher

On another note the trany in the crawl space may be an issue if you ran the underground lv wire directly to it. Underground lv wire is not listed for use inside as it does not have a vertical flame rating.

2- is the gfci in the crawl readily accessible?

3. IMO, low voltage light within 5' of the pool must be listed

IMO, if not the above then 10' is the closest the lv lights may be to a pool

Unrated cable types can be used inside, just not in walls. It's not inside the dwelling either. The GFCI is readily accessible. Lights, cable, and xfmr are same mfg and UL listed, tho they are sold separately. Closest light would be 8' from the water's edge.

680.23 in the 08 covers underwater luminaires, which these are not. and you are correct, 680.22(B)(6) is not in the 08 book - I'll have to check the 2012 IRC to see if it's there.

'course, I'm still stuck with 110.3(B) with these lights, so the rest is moot unless other mfg dont have more restrictive installation instructions than the NEC/IRC (any year).

Thanks for the help gentlemen.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.