Outdoor Flood Light Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Just removed 2 old and burnt up 1500W Quartz floodlights. Was looking for LED replacements that have a 240V tap as I'd like to save the customer some money by not having to go into the panel to convert back to 120V.

Saw this:

http://www.toolfetch.com/morris-pro...erm=MO-71551&gclid=CPTn77Pv2s4CFQxrfgodikoPVg

which has the mount style and swivel I need, and a quad tap. I'd like something super bright tho as those 2 1500W quartz bulbs mounted ~13' in the air probably looked like daylight when they were new. Any idea on how to compare 1500W quartz to LED? If it makes any difference the poles are about 25' apart and light up a garden area and pergola with seating arrangement.

Also had a question re: the switch that controls these lights. Does the switch have to break both ungrounded conductors when it's a 240V light? I didnt think about it until I had left today. If so, would that be a DPST switch?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Just removed 2 old and burnt up 1500W Quartz floodlights. Was looking for LED replacements that have a 240V tap as I'd like to save the customer some money by not having to go into the panel to convert back to 120V.

Saw this:

http://www.toolfetch.com/morris-pro...erm=MO-71551&gclid=CPTn77Pv2s4CFQxrfgodikoPVg

which has the mount style and swivel I need, and a quad tap. I'd like something super bright tho as those 2 1500W quartz bulbs mounted ~13' in the air probably looked like daylight when they were new. Any idea on how to compare 1500W quartz to LED? If it makes any difference the poles are about 25' apart and light up a garden area and pergola with seating arrangement.

Also had a question re: the switch that controls these lights. Does the switch have to break both ungrounded conductors when it's a 240V light? I didnt think about it until I had left today. If so, would that be a DPST switch?

You might consider induction lighting as an alternative. Here is a piece in Buildings comparing the two. You will probably have a wider range of options with induction lighting, but it really depends on what you need.

Just a stab, here is a spec sheet for a $400 18" dark sky compliant 120w wall pack. I don't know how it compares with the 1500w quartz for coverage. Operates on 120 - 277.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In general a load controlling switch only has to break one of the L wires. But if it is also serving as a safety disconnect it must interrupt both.
What does the lamp socket look like? For example, with a screw base socket having the shell at line voltage to ground may be a listing violation all by itself.

JFletcher

In general a load controlling switch only has to break one of the L wires. But if it is also serving as a safety disconnect it must interrupt both.
What does the lamp socket look like? For example, with a screw base socket having the shell at line voltage to ground may be a listing violation all by itself.

It's a monopin at each end, with one side spring loaded, not dissimilar to 8' Fluorescent monopin designs, except the bulbs are concave vs convex pin:

http://www.bulbs.com/product/Q1500T...e=&network=s&gclid=CLGOzKXQ284CFZSIfgodae8IFA

The things were so old the glass hazed over, reflecter lost its shine, and probably held 3x as much heat as a a brand new one, causing even the high temp fixture wiring to burn. There was nothing left except rusted spiral caps of the wirenuts. One of the tempered glass covers blew from the heat generation.

I dont need a 1500W replacement... Im sure these old quartz halogens are hideously inefficient in converting electricity to light... drop a new bulb into a live fixture and you can kiss your fingerprints goodbye for a few weeks.

Thanks all for the links and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.