LED light blinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a oven hood with fan and 2 50w halogen flood lights, which runs off a rocker switch for high and low. I replaced the halogen lights with 2 50w LED dimmable flood lights. Lights work perfectly on high, but when I switch it to low, the lights blink every 4 seconds. I tested the LED bulbs in my dining room chandelier, which is dimmable with a wall switch, and the bulbs worked perfectly regardless of the setting. Is the rocker switch the problem? It holds a constant 120v on high and a constant 66v on low. I can find anyone who knows the answer. I hope someone in this forum can help.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a oven hood with fan and 2 50w halogen flood lights, which runs off a rocker switch for high and low. I replaced the halogen lights with 2 50w LED dimmable flood lights. Lights work perfectly on high, but when I switch it to low, the lights blink every 4 seconds. I tested the LED bulbs in my dining room chandelier, which is dimmable with a wall switch, and the bulbs worked perfectly regardless of the setting. Is the rocker switch the problem? It holds a constant 120v on high and a constant 66v on low. I can find anyone who knows the answer. I hope someone in this forum can help.
It is the dimming method that is the problem. I think most of those hi-low on a three position rocker switch often just put a diode in series with the lamp for low position, so the lamp is getting half wave rectified DC current and your LED driver probably would rather see something closer to a full wave when dimmed.

It is the dimming method that is the problem. I think most of those hi-low on a three position rocker switch often just put a diode in series with the lamp for low position, so the lamp is getting half wave rectified DC current and your LED driver probably would rather see something closer to a full wave when dimmed.

Thanks a lot. Figured it had to be the switch but didn't know why. Thanks for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.