Fluorent Security Lamp with photocell failure - Chase Problem or Replace the device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgrablin

The entrance to our neighborhood has four fluorcent security lamps each with a photocell hardwired onto the ballast circuit board at the base of the compact fluorescent bulb socket. Two of the units will not operate with good bulbs and verified power to the unit. A visual inspection of the ballast circuit board on one lamp shows now obvious signs of failure such as burned components or swelled capacitors. The photocell is a two wire cell soldered to the circuit board which I assume measures the presence of power during periods of daylight. Covering the photocell produces no action. What are the steps to troubleshoot a ballast board of this design and is this typically a problem that is chased or should I just replace the device.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession with their job related duties. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical troubleshooting, installation, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.