Residential Pole Light & GFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwh1023

I have a customer that has a nuisance GFCI tripping in the garage. This happens to be the refrigerator receptacle and connected to the load of the GFCI is the exterior light pole which is a 6' decorative fixture. I see nowhere in the NEC that calls for the light pole to be GFCI protected? I removed the wiring from the load and connected the pole to the line and everything is good but I can't stop thinking about the wiring running underground and connecting to the pole may be damages and possible future problems but I don't see the GFCI requirement as long as the proper depths are met?

mwh1023

Outside 120V Post light - GFCI Protected?

Outside 120V Post light - GFCI Protected?

How deep is the wire? If the wire is 12" and in uf than it must be gfci protected. Look at table 300.5

The way I read 300.5 is if it is 12" in depth than it must be GFCI protected. If it's more than the 18" per Note 4 than I'm not sure you need the GFCI protection? It's odd the Code has not made this clear in Article 225 as having this requirement in a Table seems odd?

John120/240

I have a customer that has a nuisance GFCI tripping in the garage. This happens to be the refrigerator receptacle and connected to the load of the GFCI is the exterior light pole which is a 6' decorative fixture. I see nowhere in the NEC that calls for the light pole to be GFCI protected? I removed the wiring from the load and connected the pole to the line and everything is good but I can't stop thinking about the wiring running underground and connecting to the pole may be damages and possible future problems but I don't see the GFCI requirement as long as the proper depths are met?

My take is that the GFCI is doing its job. Tripping on a fault that must be in the outdoor fixture or the wiring. Repair replace as needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree... The obvious issue is the wiring to the light so there must be some leakage either at the light itself or in the ground.

Disconnect the wire from the light fixture at the light itself and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.