Led Dim-able High bay lights / Lighttronics OR Lithonia IBG

Status
Not open for further replies.

searlest

Hello I am helping my local church upgrade the lighting in a "multiple purpose builder

Currently there are 11 Highbay lights

I have 2 LED proposed replacements and want some "expert advise" on which would be best OR possibly a third alternative

The two proposals are

1)
http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/Library//LL/DOCUMENTS/SPECSHEETS/IBG.PDF
http://www.ledpro.com/indoor-lighti...ibg-series-114w-18000-lumen-led-high-bay.html

2)
https://www.litetronics.com/products/125-watt-led-hb-120-277v-gfr-4000k-0-10v-dim/

Thanks in advance for the great support

Electric-Light

Insist your sales reps to fetch the flicker index and percentage flicker data. You should try to get both values. If they're >15% or 0.1 FI, ask if they vary over the varying range.

To understand the impact of flickery LED modulation, you might recall how bus tail lights in low(driving) mode appears as series of dots. This is a lighting quality deficiency that only affects LEDs. Not all LEDs suffer from severe flicker and annoyingness also depends on the modulation Hz.

Electric-Light

I would like to give non LED option too

I would like to give non LED option too

Any progress on this? It would help if you're more specific in what you have now, and what you're trying to accomplish.
Existing fixture types, lamp wattage, and whether they're pulse start or probe start.
You need higher lumens per 175 or 400W lamp being substituted with the pulse start, because, they have a lower degradation.

I would like to make technology neutral input so you can start plugging in the best solution based on desired outcome. Some people are too close minded and quick to jump the gun and say LED but this may not be in their best interest unless they want the ability to say "LED lighting" in facility rental advertisement.

The shoebox shaped commercial grade Lithonia one is the clear performance leader and you'll likely have best chance locating replacement for failed LED ballast or aesthetically close enough fixture to replace one that got smashed by a ball.

The utility rate in kWh, and kW demand charge if applicable.
Burning hours per year and typical usage habits.

Continuous dimming would be waste of money unless they want it for aesthetic reasons.

Assuming 11 x 400W fixtures, the demand is about 5kW. If each cement block represented a kW in use at the same time, the demand would be billed on the tallest height reached during the month. So, the best way would be to shift things around as to minimize the highest stack height that may occur which could be as simple as reviewing the power bill and setting back the thermostat to avoid overlapping, setting all computer monitors to sleep after 5 minutes, etc. This is pretty much all labor, so its your discretion whether you bill or designate as in-kind donation. Helping the community and the grid health isn't entirely dependent on the purchase of high cost LED luminaires.

I see you're open minded for other options. Whether you go with the most expensive uber LEDs or repurposing donated T5HO fluorescent fixtures and lamps that were faddishly removed to get on the LED bandwagon, the most significant saving opportunity comes from the ability to use a smaller initial output for lower degradation and the ability to turn them on and off on a whim or automatically. The lower decay merit does not really apply for pulse start MH replaced with ghetto LEDs with life rating provided only in L70. These require upsizing by 43% to reach rated life.

You can expect 18K lumen four lamp T5HO system to roughly replace standard 400W probe start MH. and drop from 5kW to 2.5kW demand and many four lamp fixtures can be wired for 3/1 or 2/2, although i prefer 3/1 since you can get 1, 3 and 4. and 1 lamp or 25% level gets you a level that's close to 50% perceived brightness. For full brightness, occupants can choose to flip one switch for 75%, or both switches for 100%.

5 kW to 2.5-2.75 kW = 2.25 to 2.5kW reduction (T5HO)
so so LED maybe a 3.0 kW reduction
supreme expense LED = 3.6 kW reduction (best LED, at quadruple or more material cost )

If the facility is rented to the community, the lights don't have to come on until turned on by the user and they'er free to turn them on/off as they please for whatever they're doing. There's no need to leave them burning for the 15-30 minute in-between reservations. It's quite possible for halls/gyms to burn as much time in-between as it does during actual usage.This is likely the more significant cost and satisfaction advantage for a church that likely won't have more than 1,500 hrs per year of productive burning hours. (deducting the 10-15 minute lead-in and 15-30 minute continuance between users due to HID limitations). Frequent starting also shortens MH life significantly.

Going to either T5HO or LED will lower facility pg/lumen-hour Hg. If you can tap into T5HO lamps with plenty of life left that were faddishly removed to make room for LED, then there's really no mercury penalty. T5 ballasts and lamps are likely easier to source for service several years later than the LED ballast to work with the luminaire. The administrative cost for LED system repair can far exceed the cost of just getting the T5 ballast as you may need to make phone calls with the specific model and install site information when you put time value for the phone time.

LEDs make more $$ sense for exterior wall packs that see dusk-to-dawn usage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.