Why LEDs need a ballast. LEDs are common yet commonly misunderstood technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

LED lights are fairly common by now, yet there's plenty of misunderstanding about this technology. Not just by typical homeowners, but stuff published in resources generally seen as credible professional source.

https://www.reminetwork.com/articles/three-highlights-of-switching-to-led-fixtures/
"LEDs contain no delicate filament or bulb to break, and no ballast to fail due to shock or vibration." -Michael Schratz is the VP of marketing for Dialight.

This is completely wrong in this context.

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/lighti...Facilities-Management-Lighting-Feature--12236
"Although SSL doesn't generate heat as a byproduct of generating light, the drivers and ballasts do"

Just wrong.

https://facilities.uw.edu/blog/posts/2016/04/05/leading-way-led

The IMA’s racquetball and squash courts have 204 mercury-vapor light fixtures using 250 watts each, requiring heavy and unsustainable ballasts, warm-up and cool-down times of 5-10 minutes, and plenty of maintenance calls to maintenance electricians to replace burned-out bulbs. But now those headaches are gone, replaced with the ease and energy savings provided by LED upgrades.
"There are many reasons for this increase in lighting failures, including the age of campus fixtures, which are sometimes 10-20 years past their life expectancy, and the inability to find replacements for older failing fixtures."

Poorly presented testimonials are common. By their own admission, old fixtures well past their intended life expectancy has something to do with troublesome frequent failures rather than LED vs non-LED.

The dictionary definition of the word "ballast" is a pretty good description of what lighting ballasts do.

A lighting ballast is used to interconnect a lamp that can not self stabilize at all or operate with enough stability when powered directly from a electrical source. LEDs behave like a touchy valve that goes from trickle to flood abruptly. This graph from Cree datasheet shows the very sharp change in current with a slight voltage variation. Temperature also shifts the curve. Each LED has a personality and exact voltage that makes one LED draw one current level does not replicate closely with another.

XcGOc47.gif

Ballast is used even for very basic LED circuit. In AC circuit, you can use a coil, capacitor or resistor to moderate current through a device with temperamental response such as arc tubes. The resistor ahead of each LED string keeps them manageable and stable as temperature and voltage shift around. A magnetic ballast is just as effective for LEDs as it is for anything else and it would perform its duty if it is placed before the rectifier or the LED strings can be put back to back so it would alternate between strings each half cycle.

It is possible to operate LEDs without a ballast, but it is not a good idea. They will see a dramatic swing in output. A flashlight that uses 4 AA battery with a series resistor is resistively ballasted and the ballast loss can be 25-40%. It is common for the LED industry to call whatever user recognizable device that sits in between the utility power and LED as a driver or a power supply. This may include or not include ballast function.

LED tapes often use a voltage source that is like a standard "AC adapter" to provide DC 12v. However, the tape itself is setup like ladder rungs and each segment is separately ballasted with solid state circuits or resistor. The system efficacy is the power pulled from the receptacle minus whatever transitional losses seen before reaching the LED elements.

Kd10Gm.png

This kind of ballasting is common for indicator lamps and primitive LED flash lights, however it is generally unacceptable for lighting applications due to high ballasting loss.

A "12v DC power supply" is equivalent to a constant psi regulator. The flow is dictated by the load.

Another type of "LED power supply" is a constant current which behaves as a flow meter which responds to changing conditions in load and changes pressure (within its range of accommodation) to maintain the same flow.

A standard T8 electronic fluorescent ballast can drive 2, 3, 4 and sometimes 5' lamps. The ballast maintains very close to the same current level over a limited range of string length, or lamp element voltage. An LED ballast has a rectified output and the nomenclature is different, but treated exactly like a sign ballast. For example, 350mA 10-25v. This means that it's intended for 350mA string that operates somewhere in that range with some margin. Five LED elements in series has a 15 to 20v ish range and the driver will proactively change voltage to hold 350mA.

The easiest way to maintain the same amount of flow through the entire pipe system is to connect them in series as getting proper current sharing between multiple parallel strings require careful matching. Though each LED element (like each Xmas light string lamp) runs at single digit voltage, LED sign ballasts and those used inside luminaires run plenty of voltage.

150W 0.35A ballast runs 415v.
http://images.philips.com/is/conten..._US-150W_0.35A_425V_HCN_LEDHCNA0350C425FO.pdf

Cree LED light bulb ballast runs about 230v.

Other than known exceptions such as vintage look "LED filament" lamps, most LED lighting utilizes ballast.

A 4-pin CFL is to "ballast LED" as ordinary screw-in CFL is to "ballast bypass LED". The "ballast bypass" or integral-ballast LED seems to be favored by energy retrofit sales industry to justify the cost of installation service. There are multiple power connection methods for integral ballast LED lamps. Safety and compatibility concerns haven't settled down yet. Some apply line voltage across two pins on one end while the other socket end exists solely to hold the lamp in place. This creates service sale justification opportunity for energy retrofit service companies and make it easy to install. It leaves the danger with the user as 277v applied across a fluorescent lamp can produce enough blast to pop open the lamp.

39bXygU.jpg

The above is a what you might find inside a common consumer type lamp. The example above uses pcLED/SSFL. The board is made of 15 two-chip packages (each SSFL element made of two blue LEDs in series and shared package and fluorescent phosphor blend) running at about 90mA operate at about 90v (with 5v ripple.. plenty of flicker percentage). It has a MOV at the input to reduce surge induced LED ballast failure. It is something you should know as, because LED ballasts use the same technology as fluorescent electronic ballast in the parts that generally fail and they usually fail the same way. Some use glass outer bulb and since the circuit is usually UL Class I, it is considered unsafe to operate with a broken bulb which match them up to CFL for breakage vulnerability.

Last edited:

Ragin Cajun

I think it's more that that.

Simplistically:

Fluorescent lamps use high frequency AC to function.

LED use basically a DC power supply that can also dim them to a lower level than fluorescent lamps.

But, basically both use an electronic "black box" to work.

RC

Electric-Light

Simplistically:
LED use basically a DC power supply that can also dim them to a lower level than fluorescent lamps.
RC

Discharge lamps as well as LEDs are not self stabilizing and require an external ballasting effort, hence ballast.
Both LEDs and discharge lamps can use passive components like resistors and coils for ballasting or use electronic circuits.
GSFL and LED lamps these days use an electronic ballast which is a component of lighting system that is quite fragile.

So the relevant points are
Electronic ballast is an essential component that is a common failure point.
Consumes a portion of power affecting temperature rise as well as system lumens per watt.
Have significant impact on multiple performance parameters of the luminaire.

Johnnybob

Hmmm, interesting! One of my local supliers just sold me some GE 4 foot LED T8 replacements. As the ballast in the fixture was weak, one of the new LEDs wouldn't illuminate. Said supplier then told me that they work just as well on line voltage (kinda blew me away too) so I rewired around the ballast, and whatta ya know? It works just dandy!

Electric-Light

Hmmm, interesting! One of my local supliers just sold me some GE 4 foot LED T8 replacements. As the ballast in the fixture was weak, one of the new LEDs wouldn't illuminate. Said supplier then told me that they work just as well on line voltage (kinda blew me away too) so I rewired around the ballast, and whatta ya know? It works just dandy!

I checked out the said GE lamp. Interesting. It is a dual input lamp. External ballast input connects to both ends to facilitate drop-in use. It can also operate on voltage source through integral ballast by connecting power across two pins on the green ring end. What I said in this thread is nonetheless applicable. It's important to note that LEDs still need a ballast. Using the integral ballast removes the external ballast, but does not eliminate the ballast loss or as a point of failure. It is essentially operating equivalently to a 3-pin edison socket CFL designed to hook up shell to tip for direct connection and shell to ring for external ballast.

One should not accept the claim of system efficacy gain by bypassing external ballast as often expressed by ESCOs looking to justify selling rewiring service. The energy performance can be better on centrally ballasted 2 or 4 lamp configuration compared to using four integral ballasts. The whole direct line voltage wiring to one end is a grey area as you have line voltage across one socket that is not current limited. It will cause a direct fault across the line if a fluorescent lamp or a different type of LED lamp that is internally shunted is dropped into the socket. This may cause an arc flash or a lamp envelope rupture. LED lamps using glass envelope are not immune from envelope rupture in case of a high energy incident.

Electric-Light

Simplistically:

RC
Simply put. The electronic ballast provides current limited power to the lamp and the ballast can exist as remote mounted, inside the fixture or built into the lamp assembly. Electrolytic capacitors wear out and gradually lose capacitance. Especially at higher temperature. Input rectifier and power MOSFET(s) operate on the line side of the circuit and these tend to fail suddenly like glass. It is easily impacted by impulses which is more relevant for 277v ballasts that can pickup surge from motorized machines that run on the same 480/277 transformer. High case temperature reduces their lifetime as well.

A ballast that provides the same level of load and line side regulation as a $20 external ballast (low flicker, >90% efficiency, <10% THD/>.95 PF, 120-277v input...) built into each lamp would increase the cost of the lamp a fair bit while external ballast require skilled labor. Also, a single two or four lamp ballast offers a noticeable efficiency advantage over 2 or 4 ballasts(internal or external). Some street light fixtures include a connector linked ballast behind an access lid to allow replacement by a maintenance worker.

xtHVU43.png

Status
Not open for further replies.