residential closet lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some electrical contractors asking about the location of fixtures in residential closets. I always understood the code to say that an incandescent surface mounted fixtures were required to be placed a minimu of 12" from the front edge of the shelf or the width of the shelf which either was more. Given that the shelf in this example is 12" wide the fixture should be located 24" from the wall or 12": from the from the front of the shelf. Please let me know your thoughts as to I am enforcing this properly. Some contractors are stating that as long as the fixture iw 12 away from the shelf if meets code. They are basically saying that it the shelf is 18" above the shelf and outside the vertical shelf line if meets code. Thanks for any help

kwired

Electron manager
I have some electrical contractors asking about the location of fixtures in residential closets. I always understood the code to say that an incandescent surface mounted fixtures were required to be placed a minimu of 12" from the front edge of the shelf or the width of the shelf which either was more. Given that the shelf in this example is 12" wide the fixture should be located 24" from the wall or 12": from the from the front of the shelf. Please let me know your thoughts as to I am enforcing this properly. Some contractors are stating that as long as the fixture iw 12 away from the shelf if meets code. They are basically saying that it the shelf is 18" above the shelf and outside the vertical shelf line if meets code. Thanks for any help
You are correct for an incandescant surface mounted fixture. Code wants it 12 inches from the "storage space", which is a minimum of 12 inches from the back wall, or the depth of the shelf if it is more then 12, and extending all the way to the ceiling.

If your closet is not more then 24 inches deep a surface mounted incandescent isn't even possible.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems to me that the best solution to closet lighting is recessed cans.
If the closet is deep enough.

A closet still needs to be over 18" deep or they are not an option at all.

If the closet is only 20" deep traditional recessed cans are not an option but a maximum 2 inch deep fluorescent or LED above the door is likely going to be fine, unless the shelf is deeper then 12".

mwm1752

There can be confusion when a closet rod is installed -- in all cases above a closet rod without shelving incorporates an imaginary space of 12" deep. The area to the top of the closet rod has a 24" deep storage area-- so-- my closet dimensions are 24" deep X 7' tall X 4' wide -- the top of my closet rod is 6' 4" and there is no shelf -- Am I allowed to install a surface mounted, enclosed flourescent luminaire 6" deep X 1"tall X 24" wide?

Note that the surface mounted, enclosed flourescent luminaire is 7" above the closet rod storage space?
I think the answer is that the shelving storage space always extends to the ceiling.

kwired

Electron manager
There can be confusion when a closet rod is installed -- in all cases above a closet rod without shelving incorporates an imaginary space of 12" deep. The area to the top of the closet rod has a 24" deep storage area-- so-- my closet dimensions are 24" deep X 7' tall X 4' wide -- the top of my closet rod is 6' 4" and there is no shelf -- Am I allowed to install a surface mounted, enclosed flourescent luminaire 6" deep X 1"tall X 24" wide?

Note that the surface mounted, enclosed flourescent luminaire is 7" above the closet rod storage space?
I think the answer is that the shelving storage space always extends to the ceiling.
The storage space is 12 inches or shelf width, whichever is greater. If shelf width is 11, 9, 6 or zero, you still apply the 12 inches.

Sorry kwired. I didn't send my post immediately, and now see you beat me to the punch.

I believe the key here is "incandescent". Who uses incandescent lights anymore?

Oh yeah, I'm on the left coast where we have Title 24 :happysad:. Incandescent lighting has become a dinosaur here in CA (at least on my jobs)

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry kwired. I didn't send my post immediately, and now see you beat me to the punch.

I believe the key here is "incandescent". Who uses incandescent lights anymore?

Oh yeah, I'm on the left coast where we have Title 24 :happysad:. Incandescent lighting has become a dinosaur here in CA (at least on my jobs)
I was answering from the NEC perspective, but even without energy codes, we were typically installing fluorescent lighting in clothes closets about 30 years ago in most instances. The closet had to be over 24 inches deep or a surface mount incandescent wasn't even an option NEC wise. This left you with big walk in closets being about the only ones where a surface mount incandescent was even an option.

I was answering from the NEC perspective, but even without energy codes, we were typically installing fluorescent lighting in clothes closets about 30 years ago in most instances. The closet had to be over 24 inches deep or a surface mount incandescent wasn't even an option NEC wise. This left you with big walk in closets being about the only ones where a surface mount incandescent was even an option.
:thumbsup:

mwm1752

The storage space is 12 inches or shelf width, whichever is greater. If shelf width is 11, 9, 6 or zero, you still apply the 12 inches.

I agree with your code interpretation though
if you had a 6" shelf it would be hard to place 12" wide something on that shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.