Why are LED dimmers and photocells rated differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
Why are today's photocells rated for 2000w tungsten, 1800VA HID ballast, but only 600 VA LED? One would think a VA is a VA lol. I've tried googling the answer to no avail. Also why are most household dimmers rated 600w incandescent but only 150 cfl/led?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why are today's photocells rated for 2000w tungsten, 1800VA HID ballast, but only 600 VA LED? One would think a VA is a VA lol. I've tried googling the answer to no avail. Also why are most household dimmers rated 600w incandescent but only 150 cfl/led?

Most likely a throwback to the early days when an LED or CFL driver looked a lot like a diode-capacitor input circuit for a DC supply to the electronics and so had a high distortion power factor and very high peak currents compared to the average current.
Those peak currents could easily damage semiconductor elements that could handle the peak current of a sinusoidal waveform much better.
Tungsten is slightly worse than simple resistive because the startup current is high, given the large difference between cold and hot temperature resistance of tungsten wire.

mgookin

LED has the greatest magnitude of inrush in comparison with all the lighting technologies in the OP. It's a sharper, higher magnitude but for a shorter duration.

600VA LED is going to get you a whole lot more light than 2kw tungsten or 1800VA HID, i.e. if you change out your parking lot from HID to LED you can still use that same control in most circumstances if you so choose.

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the replies and info, I was inspired to ask because I'm adding all new led wallpacks and a new photocell to directly control them on a shopping center for the first time versus back in the ol days when I had the photocell work only a lighting contactor. I never thought LED would be adopted so quickly!

Electric-Light

Thanks for the replies and info, I was inspired to ask because I'm adding all new led wallpacks and a new photocell to directly control them on a shopping center for the first time versus back in the ol days when I had the photocell work only a lighting contactor. I never thought LED would be adopted so quickly!

As others have already said, it has to do with the way some electronic ballasts are designed. The early commercial use electronic ballasts that weighed pretty close to magnetic ballasts used a large choke to mitigate harmonics and those limited the amount of inrush current.

When you dump the clutch, the transaxle sees far more peak torque than it does after it is engaged. Some ballasts started to include inrush limiting such as PTC or start through a resistor and short the resistor with an electronic switch after a bit of delay. The inrush is hell on contactor as well as ballast components. The basic CFLs have no inrush mitigation at all and they sometimes have a quantity limit per circuit that is much lower than the added VA suggests. Going above that quantity risks activating magnetic trip.

High inrush LED ballast will dramatically reduce contact life and you may need to use a heavy duty relay or a contactor.

Forward phase dimmers control by delaying the switch-on after zero crossing every half cycle and does a hard switch-on every half cycle and I've seen some LED ballast draw as much as 10A pulse every half cycle while dimmed and this is actually stressful for dimmers even when they're derated 1:3 ratio. The bolts that attach your struts to chassis will see more repetitive impact force with stiffer suspension. Each LED ballast design has a different "stiffness" so the derating is to ensure reasonable reliability.

There's a lot more to read about here.
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/solidstate/assist/pdf/assist-TechNote-Dimming-InrushCurrent.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.