Surface Mount LED Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A customer called us to install some lights she had bought. Some OK but she had a few surface mount LED lights that we could not install. The light has a ballast on top that has to go into the box. Mounting bracket goes in 1st, it is offset into the box about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch. Boxes are so full of wire the bracket will not go in. I have seen this issue before. In new installs, I have always used deep metal octagon boxes with as few wires as possible, feeding from top of box to save space.
I have also seen a few similar lights with no ballast on top. Roughly 6 inches in diameter, a little thicker for having to have the ballasting inside. I looked around several supply houses and stores but didn't see any of them. 1 supply house can order but that is a hassle too.

Big Orange doesn't have them, I haven't had a chance to check Big Blue. Has anyone seen these and know where to get them off the shelf?

Occupation
Inspector
HD sells a LED light that mounts to a j-box that is flat for the same price as the ones your customer bought. I have installed several and they pretty slick.

Agreed. I did a Kitchen remodel where the HO wanted 6 recess light. I could not install recess cans in two of the location needed so I installed std. j-box and used 6 of the LED retrofit kits. Finished project looks great.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I found the Satco S9320, 50 watt eqv. Works well. Got them at a lighting store. Never found any at big boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.