2 Lamp T-8 Ballast Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
I noted a 2 lamp fixture not quite starting this morning in a standard " conditioned space " room.
When I go to replace the ballast I am noticing the wiring insulation on the fixture conductors with the exception of the 120V line conductor appears to be something like " Baked On " but with no real sign of having been hot. Almost imspossible to strip by conventional means.
What is going on here?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have run into fixtures/ballast wires that were impossible to strip with regular strippers. I have a pair of strippers that are the "quick strip" type. They are adjustable for different sizes of wire. They have blade that comes down and cuts the insulation and pulls it off with one motion. Just put the wire in and squeeze the handles.

I don't even attempt changing ballasts out now without these strippers. Some wires strip fine with regular strippers but I never know until I try so I just default to the "quick strip" strippers for ballasts and fixture wire.

WarrMann

I noted a 2 lamp fixture not quite starting this morning in a standard " conditioned space " room.
When I go to replace the ballast I am noticing the wiring insulation on the fixture conductors with the exception of the 120V line conductor appears to be something like " Baked On " but with no real sign of having been hot. Almost imspossible to strip by conventional means.
What is going on here?
Its what you say. They've been baked on. The wire likely got warmer than the ambient temperature inside the fixture and the insulation baked from the inside out. Are the lights on for extended periods of time? That could explain the conductor getting warm, and the conditions space explains the outer insulation staying cooler.

When i run into the "cant strip the darn ballast wire" issue i just nibble the insulation off with my strippers. Millimeter strips at a time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

sblk55

wire stripping

wire stripping

It is very possible that your wires got hot. But a few years ago when we were still rewiring old 12 fixtures I ordered spools of solid red yellow and blue there was one spool that was very difficult to strip. We have the same problem with some SO and SOOW cords.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Thanks

Thanks

It is very possible that your wires got hot. But a few years ago when we were still rewiring old 12 fixtures I ordered spools of solid red yellow and blue there was one spool that was very difficult to strip. We have the same problem with some SO and SOOW cords.

Thanks for all responses. I know the type of strippers Bill is speaking about but have never had a pair. They sound like a good way to go in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.