Legrand WiFi switches are out

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Legrand has released their WiFi enabled Radiant switches; these will connect directly to your WiFi network and do not require the use of the RFLC hub.

Pricing is a bit lower than their 900mhz RF radiant switches also. A standard switch is $37, whereas the RF switches were closer to $50.

They have a new app to control called Legrand Smart Lights, and they integrate with Alexa & Google Home through the Samsung Artik Cloud. You can schedule timers and automations through the Legrand app.

All versions work with 3-way switches also. The dimmers are compatible with Legrand Harmony dimmer remotes.

They don’t appear to have any sort of remote switch available like they offer in the RF line, where you could install a remote switch anywhere and bind it to the master to create a virtual 3-way.

Also there is no HomeKit support at this time; I hope that’s coming. They announced compatibility as coming soon earlier this year.

These are not compatible with the Intuity automation system either.

But it looks like a good product for someone trying to enter the automation market. I’m going to order some next week and try them out.

Brochure shows an outdoor extension cord with WiFi & GFCI built-in, but I don’t see that listed yet on their website. It would be a good product for setting timers and automation on Christmas lighting.

https://www.legrand.us/categories/smart-lighting/wi-fi.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
All of this stuff is unnecessary complexity in my opinion.

It can be, but they can also be beneficial.

I like using these type of devices for scheduling timers on outdoor lighting, and for scene controls.

I like the ability to turn lights off/on when you’re coming and going from home so you don’t arrive to a dark house. It’s not a necessity for me, but many of my female customers really like the safety benefit.

While these particular switches don’t have remote switching ability, the Legrand RF line of switches let you create virtual 3-ways with remote switches. That is an awesome feature that I’ve used quite a bit. No need to run 3-wire between the switches; just get power to the remote and bind them wirelessly to the master switch at the load. The RF version is a little more expensive than the WiFi based version I linked above. But I still think this is a nice low cost entry for some people, and will serve the market well to get customers into some sort of home control. In my opinion, anything that can get customers to spend more dollars with us is a welcome addition to the catalog.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
And 50 years from now when WiFi becomes an unsupported legacy platform???

Then we’ll move on to what’s next ?

You can’t sell this stuff and tell people it will last forever. Technology evolves. Some people are ok with that, some are not.

This thread isn’t meant to start and argument as to why tech is a bad idea. I get it; some of you hate it. Not everyone does.

Adamjamma

by the time wifi becomes a legacy we will probably have some form of wireless lighting that charges directly from the solar roof panels using another wireless technology, and , in a song from my youth, all our food will be in a pill we take today..lol...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yes, and plain mechanical switches aren’t going anywhere for those that still want them.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
An update....

My mom had complained before about coming home at night to the lights off, so I put some of these switches in my parents house.

Setup is pretty simple; remote access is allowed through a Samsung Artik Cloud account.

They live in the sticks and have horrendous broadband; 256Kbps. Even still, it takes less than 2 seconds from the time you turn on the lights in the app via LTE cell service for them to come on. I setup a scene she can select that turns on all the floodlights for her to turn on when coming home at night. I programmed the porch lights on a timer to come on at dusk; you enter your zip code within the app for it to know the sunset time.

I’m going to start installing landscape lights for her tomorrow that will be controlled via one of these WiFi switches and on a timer to come on at dusk.

Their router is one of the cheap Windstream modem/routers and it’s working without any issues.

She’s pretty thrilled with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.