Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soft-start LED's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Soft-start LED's

    Are there any outdoor floodlight fixtures with soft-start LED's?

    I have a case where the homeowner hates motion-tripped illumination as it startles her, but she needs it.
    I was hoping she might be OK with a slower starting lamp.

    #2
    Possible alternate: Dual-brite lights that dim instead of extinguishing after timing out.
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

    Comment


      #3
      181205-2422 EST

      [COLOR=#000000]Open Neutral:

      [/COLOR]Why would you expect one to exist? It would add cost.

      A basic LED chip is essentially a very fast response device. Picoseconds or higher. With added phosphors to make white light it is somewhat slower. To get some sort of ramping slow light buildup you will require additional circuitry. Are there slow ramping dimmers? I don't know. Quite possibly some home automation system might have such a feature.

      .

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by gar View Post
        181205-2422 EST

        [COLOR=#000000]Open Neutral:

        [/COLOR]Why would you expect one to exist? It would add cost.

        .

        https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a...ex.mvp/id/4481

        Comment


          #5
          Any way you can combine them with a dimmer that slowly goes full bright? I noticed a Lutron dimmer worked that way last week.
          Tom
          TBLO

          Comment


            #6
            181206-0947 EST

            Open Neutral:

            Interesting. I like Dallas, now Maxim. If one already uses the Maxim chip, then it won't be a huge cost factor.

            .

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
              Any way you can combine them with a dimmer that slowly goes full bright? I noticed a Lutron dimmer worked that way last week.
              Would love to see same. Don't want to engineer my own.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Open Neutral View Post
                Are there any outdoor floodlight fixtures with soft-start LED's?

                I have a case where the homeowner hates motion-tripped illumination as it startles her, but she needs it.
                I was hoping she might be OK with a slower starting lamp.
                Another possible alternative: using multiple fixtures with lower intensity LEDs... Or having the ability to turn them on remotely, thus avoiding the shock of going from full darkness to gas station bright (lower Kelvin lamps would also help in that regard).
                Electricians do it until it Hertz!

                Comment


                  #9
                  The point is to stop running the driveway lighting several thousand hours per year, and instead automagically turn them on when there's a reason to do so.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Open Neutral View Post
                    The point is to stop running the driveway lighting several thousand hours per year, and instead automagically turn them on when there's a reason to do so.
                    Still have recessed halogen flood bulbs around my house, but for similar reasons. They come on every night with a photocell, but are on dimmer switches and set to low light level. Makes good security lighting. Now if I want more light temporarily I could turn up the dimmers. I don't have but if I wanted I could probably bypass the dimmers with a motion detector if I wanted automatic light increase, or even turn on additional luminaires with the motion detector.

                    Did about same thing on a newer house I wired but have dimmable LED trims in the cans.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X