EATON GFCI SGF15-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpfam111

I am installing an EATON SGF15-M gfci receptacle under the sink. I am trying to make it a split circuit but I can’t find the “break off” tab. Does this model receptacle not have a break off tab?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am installing an EATON SGF15-M gfci receptacle under the sink. I am trying to make it a split circuit but I can’t find the “break off” tab. Does this model receptacle not have a break off tab?

Remember there is a line and load so there is no way to get 2 circuits from one Gfci. Install a 2 gang box and use 2 gfci's

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

Push button resets are not allowed under sinks with cabinet doors, or behind cabinet doors at all.

See "Readily Accessible" in new work code 210.8, and Replacement Code 406.4(D)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Push button resets are not allowed under sinks with cabinet doors, or behind cabinet doors at all.

See "Readily Accessible" in new work code 210.8, and Replacement Code 406.4(D)

Yes they need to be readily accessible but it definitely arguable whether under a sink is readily accessible. IMO, if the receptacle is close to the front of the cabinet then it is considered readily accessible.

I don't see anything that states it cannot be behind a door.

lpfam111

Remember there is a line and load so there is no way to get 2 circuits from one Gfci. Install a 2 gang box and use 2 gfci's

There is a 2 gang box with 2 romex feeds. One is black red white gnd. That’s the one wired to the switch. The other romex is just black whit gnd but when I wire that to a second gfci it trips the breaker. The black red white works fine and operates by the switch.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Yes they need to be readily accessible but it definitely arguable whether under a sink is readily accessible. IMO, if the receptacle is close to the front of the cabinet then it is considered readily accessible.

I don't see anything that states it cannot be behind a door.

I like your interpretation, but the senior planner who instructs our local IAEI tells inspectors to red tag it, forcing the reset placement elsewhere.

I believe he uses this to force kitchen remodels to upgrade the electrical service when older panels won't except a GFCI breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There is a 2 gang box with 2 romex feeds. One is black red white gnd. That’s the one wired to the switch. The other romex is just black whit gnd but when I wire that to a second gfci it trips the breaker. The black red white works fine and operates by the switch.

You do realize that we are not allowed to help with diy projects. I know you are an ee but unless you are qualified as an electrician then we cannot help.

Status
Not open for further replies.