LED strips w/drivers, store backlit display, many wires, terml blocks exposed in ceil

Status
Not open for further replies.

catronics

I have a job where we are installing many, many 12V LED strips behind some store displays. Every other strip needs a wire, and it's a lot of wires. We're going to be connecting them to terminal blocks which will then be connected to the 12V drivers, and I'm wondering if those terminal blocks need to be mounted inside of a box. The terminal blocks have little covers them, so I think they'll be okay on their own. They'll be mounted in the space above the drop ceiling, and they're only running 12V. Would it be to code to leave the terminal blocks un-enclosed?

This is my first time doing an LED strip installation on a large scale, and I'm looking forward to this leading to a lot more jobs if it goes well. This is an expanding market.

Attachments

• 61HjfFNLnYL._SX425_.jpg
    61HjfFNLnYL._SX425_.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Sorry no code book but I'm saying yes to the open.
Under 50v and do you put a box in for your doorbell?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a job where we are installing many, many 12V LED strips behind some store displays. Every other strip needs a wire, and it's a lot of wires. We're going to be connecting them to terminal strips which then will be connected to the 12V drivers, and I'm wondering if those terminal strips need to be mounted inside of a box. The terminal strips have little covers them, so I think they'll be okay on their own. They'll be mounted in the space above the drop ceiling, and they're running 12V. Would it be okay to leave the terminal strips un-enclosed?

This is my first time doing an LED strip installation on a large scale, and I'm looking forward to this leading to a lot more jobs if it goes well, so anything that could save me some time would be welcome.

Are you aware that you need to comply with class 2 circuit requirements? You are indicating "many, many" LED strips which sounds like it may exceed class 2. Or are you breaking this up into smaller class 2 systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.