box fill multiple lights on three way

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

In a residential lighting application, using 14AWG NM, round plastic boxes, and multiple lights, and multiple switch locations, how can you arrange things to accommodate the required number of conductors ?

If I am correct, you are supposed to take a neutral to switch boxes, so that takes four conductors to each 3 way, two coming from the breaker panel,and 1 ground. that's 11 and the most common 2-3/4" deep round box is only good for 10.

that is for a single fixture.

if you need a 4 way or two... and / or you want to continue the power circuit from the breaker panel on to another room or something, and / or you have multiple light fixtures on this circuit, you have a problem.... The largest round plastic box I can find is 25cu in... that would be good for 12.5 # 14AWG.

Could someone please clue me in to how to arrange things or what boxes to use to accommodate this situation?

I assume if you used recessed lights , you could put a j-box somewhere you could get to by removing the can, that would alleviate the problem.

thank you

MAC702

14/2 home run to first 3-way switch. 14/3 to the next 3-way switch (and through any 4-way switches in between), and then a 14/2 from that last 3-way switch to the lights.

You don't even need to recolor anything.

Only when that configuration isn't practical do you need to get fancy.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Run your traveler/neutral conductor(s) between the switches as MAC suggested. I see no reason why you would want to run everything to the ceiling light outlet box.

realolman

14/2 home run to first 3-way switch. 14/3 to the next 3-way switch (and through any 4-way switches in between), and then a 14/2 from that last 3-way switch to the lights.

You don't even need to recolor anything.

Only when that configuration isn't practical do you need to get fancy.

That would do it wouldn't it..... sometimes I wonder about myself... thank you.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I once special ordered some 14-2-2. Used it to go across to dead end 3 ways, not and neutral to each with red and red/white as travellers. Came from Eck, about $100 a roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.