Trims or alternate install methods for can lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrobotronic

Hey All,
I have a remodel going on and installed normal IC 6"cans. The building inspector, for reasons unbeknownst to me (something to do with the place being a duplex), is requiring 1.25" hat channel to run perpendicular to the TJIs, then two layers of 5/8" rock, thus dropping the ceiling 2.5". Obviously, the cans are secured, as usual, to the TJIs.

So, the question is how do I lower the lights to accept the trims? or can I leave them alone and just snap the trim to the can per usual?

If anyone has experience with this, I sure could use your insight.

Thank you...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Drill new holes at the correct depth for the three screws that hold the can to the plate, perhaps 1/8" shy from flush so the can doesn't hold the trim away from the ceiling.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am not sure which brand you installed.
A lot of the traditional recessed can have "knock out slots" where the can is secured to the housing that will allow them to be lowered to the new finished ceiling surface.
Others have a friction clip that might allow you to lower it.
If you haven't already, take a closer look at the cans you installed.

wrobotronic

I am not sure which brand you installed.
A lot of the traditional recessed can have "knock out slots" where the can is secured to the housing that will allow them to be lowered to the new finished ceiling surface.
Others have a friction clip that might allow you to lower it.
If you haven't already, take a closer look at the cans you installed.

first. I like your user name. Pretty great. Thank you for the advice. I will search a little deeper into what has been used. I do appreciate you all taking the time to help. This place is great.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If this ceiling is between units the reason for 2 layers of 5/8 drywall is for fire rating. You have bigger problems than just adjusting the cans down to be flush. Either the cans need to be eliminated or fire rated boxes are going to need to be build for each one.

kwired

Electron manager
If this ceiling is between units the reason for 2 layers of 5/8 drywall is for fire rating. You have bigger problems than just adjusting the cans down to be flush. Either the cans need to be eliminated or fire rated boxes are going to need to be build for each one.
was my thoughts as well.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Yeh, I think OP is going to need to install Tenmat over the fixtures to maintain the fire rating.

https://www.tenmatusa.com/fire-rated-light-enclosures/ff109x-2hour-ul-fire-rated-light-cover/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.