Wall mounted fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi All,

Have any of you used round type junction boxes to mount to a light fixture? I have a product that is designed to be installed to a wall recessed junction box; this approach can not be accomplished for my installation. I'm looking to do a wall mount JB that will support a fixture and will run exposed conduits from JB to JB to provide power to the lights.

Thanks
EE

kwired

Electron manager
I think a picture might help to explain what you have or want to do. I'm not sure I understand your issue.
I think he is wanting to mount a luminaire designed for mounting over a flush box to a surface mounted box. Not always an easy task.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hi All,

Have any of you used round type junction boxes to mount to a light fixture? I have a product that is designed to be installed to a wall recessed junction box; this approach can not be accomplished for my installation. I'm looking to do a wall mount JB that will support a fixture and will run exposed conduits from JB to JB to provide power to the lights.

Thanks
EE

No, i usually mount the light to the junction box.:p
All I can think of is a round outside bell box with conduit hubs.

MAC702

Well, it's done all the time. Appearance issues may limit the style of light fixture that you want to use. Some have a nice round base the same as the 4" j-box. Of course, these are small and usually cheap.

Sometimes a pancake box can be set inside of the wall finish so you still have a flush j-box, albeit a small one. Sometimes you just cut a deep hole and bury a full-size box, getting creative with supporting it, and doing a lot of work through that hole. Those two methods assume you can run the wire from the back or fish through the wall.

One alternative may be to attach a large decorative spacer around your fixture base and the conduits and j-box go inside of it.

Or you can just hang the big fixture on the little box, if weather isn't an issue getting through the back of the fixture.

Why do these OP's always tell us "I have this fixture" and never tell us exactly what it is, like it's a big secret? Ideas are better and faster when we can actually see the same thing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would see what size base the fixture has and then mount a 2x?? around the box so that the fixture fits flat to the board. Basically drill a 2x10 or whatever size is needed and notch for the conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.