Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall mounted fixtures

Hi All,

Have any of you used round type junction boxes to mount to a light fixture? I have a product that is designed to be installed to a wall recessed junction box; this approach can not be accomplished for my installation. I'm looking to do a wall mount JB that will support a fixture and will run exposed conduits from JB to JB to provide power to the lights.

Thanks
    EE

I think a picture might help to explain what you have or want to do. I'm not sure I understand your issue.
    Norb

Comment

Originally posted by 1793 View Post
      I think a picture might help to explain what you have or want to do. I'm not sure I understand your issue.
      I think he is wanting to mount a luminaire designed for mounting over a flush box to a surface mounted box. Not always an easy task.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Maybe a siding plate?
        Master Electrician
        Electrical Contractor
        Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by FaradayFF View Post
          Hi All,

[COLOR=#000000]Have any of you used round type junction boxes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] to mount to a light fixture? [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]I[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR] have a product that is designed to be installed to a wall recessed junction box; this approach can not be accomplished for my installation. I'm looking to do a wall mount JB that will support a fixture and will run exposed conduits from JB to JB to provide power to the lights.

Thanks
          EE
          No, i usually mount the light to the junction box.
          All I can think of is a round outside bell box with conduit hubs.
          [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

Comment

Well, it's done all the time. Appearance issues may limit the style of light fixture that you want to use. Some have a nice round base the same as the 4" j-box. Of course, these are small and usually cheap.

Sometimes a pancake box can be set inside of the wall finish so you still have a flush j-box, albeit a small one. Sometimes you just cut a deep hole and bury a full-size box, getting creative with supporting it, and doing a lot of work through that hole. Those two methods assume you can run the wire from the back or fish through the wall.

One alternative may be to attach a large decorative spacer around your fixture base and the conduits and j-box go inside of it.

Or you can just hang the big fixture on the little box, if weather isn't an issue getting through the back of the fixture.

Why do these OP's always tell us "I have this fixture" and never tell us exactly what it is, like it's a big secret? Ideas are better and faster when we can actually see the same thing.

Comment

There's always the vapor-tight fixtures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	light1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	2380510
              Master Electrician
              Electrical Contractor
              Richmond, VA

Comment

I would see what size base the fixture has and then mount a 2x?? around the box so that the fixture fits flat to the board. Basically drill a 2x10 or whatever size is needed and notch for the conduit.
                They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Also, some fixtures have a built-in hub for landing the conduit directly to the fixture itself.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                    Also, some fixtures have a built-in hub for landing the conduit directly to the fixture itself.
                    More common for a "wall pack" but not for a fixture intended to mount over a flush box.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Perhaps. Most of the wallpacks I've installed were actually done over flush-mounted round j-boxes, so I thought of them.

Comment

sometimes sleeving bell box with 4" pvc pipe gives enough surface to make light fixture stable
                        Think for yourself, while its still somewhat legal!
                        Clarkesville, Georgia

Comment

Done all the time, more info. would help to solve your problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X