MH lamp in MV luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I replaced a barn light with a LED luminare at my grandaughers home. When I took the old luminare down, it had a 400 watt MH lamp in a 175 W MV barn light.
Was working though.
Works way better now.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
you can put a MH lamp in a MV fixture--wattage for wattage--just don't go the other way--bad things happen:happysad:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
you can put a MH lamp in a MV fixture--wattage for wattage--just don't go the other way--bad things happen:happysad:

It depends- most MH probe start ballasts are listed for driving MV or at least were listed so up until the MV ballasts ban.

Now with pulse start the 4kv pulse might cause some issues though not to bad provided the bulb has not hit end of life.

MH in a MV will either not strike, strike and extinguish during warm up or one of the two as the lamp ages.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
mbrooke,

That's what we saw using MH in our MV fixtures for sign lighting on the hiway--gave a better softer( not as harsh) light that MH and got around the MV lamps--They worked but would start to cycle at about the rated life

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
mbrooke,

That's what we saw using MH in our MV fixtures for sign lighting on the hiway--gave a better softer( not as harsh) light that MH and got around the MV lamps--They worked but would start to cycle at about the rated life

I believe you- CWA ballast by chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.